Waiting on yeast.......did I mess up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I messed up, TWICE! I am making apple wine, I crushed the apples, strained the juice, put it in the primary added the campden last night. I also added the yeast nutrient and the pectic enzyme............should I have waited on those?

Now for the big oops! I had ordered yeast and a few other things, the box came yesterday. I didn't open it until just now, and my yeast isn't in there! In checking it will be here on Monday. Can I hold the juice as is until then? How about if I refrigerate it? This is a 3-gallon batch.

Another option question, I have a second primary started of Grape wine, I haven't pitched the yeast in it yet. I have ONE 5 gram package of Red Star Premium....the Grape is a 2-gallon batch.

Would it be possible to split the one 5 gram package of yeast between the 2 different primaries, and what would be the best way to do that?

I think I messed up, TWICE! I am making apple wine, I crushed the apples, strained the juice, put it in the primary added the campden last night. I also added the yeast nutrient and the pectic enzyme............should I have waited on those?

Now for the big oops! I had ordered yeast and a few other things, the box came yesterday. I didn't open it until just now, and my yeast isn't in there! In checking it will be here on Monday. Can I hold the juice as is until then? How about if I refrigerate it? This is a 3-gallon batch.

Another option question, I have a second primary started of Grape wine, I haven't pitched the yeast in it yet. I have ONE 5 gram package of Red Star Premium....the Grape is a 2-gallon batch.

Would it be possible to split the one 5 gram package of yeast between the 2 different primaries, and what would be the best way to do that?

A 5 gram pack is enough for 6 gallons, you only have 5, split it in half and let it roll!!!

Put the yeast on a sheet of paper, dividing it in half by sight with a business card, credit card, put one half in each batch.

The sooner the better on the pectic enzyme - especially with apples. And on the yeast - As Johnd stated divide and conquer.

Another option is to wait another day or two with the apples, the campden(K-meta) should hold off any rogue activity that long AND the PLUS would be the pectic enzyme would have more time to break down the apples more. Pectic enzyme is reported to not work as well in the presence of alcohol so holding off until Monday could actually be a plus.
BUT even if you do wait I would still divide up that yeast. As indicated 1 package is enough for 6 gallons of wine. Save it in the fridge if you wait until the other yeast comes in. And if you don't need it for these first batches your are set for the next go round. New yeast will keep well sealed and cooled

The sooner the better on the pectic enzyme - especially with apples. And on the yeast - As Johnd stated divide and conquer.

Another option is to wait another day or two with the apples, the campden(K-meta) should hold off any rogue activity that long AND the PLUS would be the pectic enzyme would have more time to break down the apples more. Pectic enzyme is reported to not work as well in the presence of alcohol so holding off until Monday could actually be a plus.
BUT even if you do wait I would still divide up that yeast. As indicated 1 package is enough for 6 gallons of wine. Save it in the fridge if you wait until the other yeast comes in. And if you don't need it for these first batches your are set for the next go round. New yeast will keep well sealed and cooled
Thank you!......... whew! Crisis averted!

SO I am sure I read this somewhere but it didn't stick, all the recipes I have used say to add the Pectic Enzyme 12 hours after the Campden and nutrient. Is there a reason for this? OR I guess I could run off and do my own research...........but sometimes it's just easier to ask.

Thank you!......... whew! Crisis averted!

SO I am sure I read this somewhere but it didn't stick, all the recipes I have used say to add the Pectic Enzyme 12 hours after the Campden and nutrient. Is there a reason for this? OR I guess I could run off and do my own research...........but sometimes it's just easier to ask.

Pectic enzyme helps break the fruit down to release its juice. You’ve already crushed the fruit, separated and strained the juice, so you don’t need it for that. Put it in anyway, it’ll help immensely with clearing later, as apples have plenty pectin.

Pectic enzyme helps break the fruit down to release its juice. You’ve already crushed the fruit, separated and strained the juice, so you don’t need it for that. Put it in anyway, it’ll help immensely with clearing later, as apples have plenty pectin.
So why is it recommended to put it in 12 hours after the Campden?

Latest posts

Back