Waiting for Active Bubbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooberry

Junior
Reaction score
First attempt. Began 3-4 days ago. Trap has several inactive little bubbles. No noise and no continuous bubbling. Should I add another yeast culture of boiled sugar water (cooled down)? It's a blackberry mixture homegrown BTW.

What was the Starting Gravity of the wine. What is the current specific gravity of the wine? what kind of yeast is it. How did you put it together? Any information you can give will help.

Have you used sulphite, and did not overdo it ???

Too much sulphite could inhibit yeast and then it will
take longer to start the fermentation.

Did you use sulphite ???
If you did the wine will be safe from spoiling for some
time so do not worry to much now.

Did you pitch the yeast or make a yeast starter.
Making a yeast starter helps starting a vigorous fermentation.
If you do not know how to do it read here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/08/gist-starter-yeast-starter.html

If you make a yeast starter and it is fermenting vigorously add half the volume in must to it.
Wait till it ferments again and then add again half the volume in must
etc etc etc until the whole must is fermenting.

I presume acidity and SG are in the right range ???

Hope this helps a bit

Luc

still waiting for activity

I did not use any sulphite. I started a yeast culture a few days before hand. I covered the must after adding the yeast and syrup with the lid. My recipe actually said to cover with a clean cloth for seven days. I did not use the hydrometer.

Was there activity in the yeast started when you pitched it? What type of yeast was it and how did you make your starter? If you created a sugar medium for the started how much sugar was in how much water and did you rehydrate the yeast before you added it to the started liquid?

Sorry for all the questions but the more info we have the more people can help you.

Latest posts

Back