Wait for it!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I recently bottled a mist-style kit (blueberry hard lemonade). Schedule-wise, I was a little longer than the recommended times. I usually am and find that even after a little aging, kits will still drop sediment. I had done a couple last year that cleared very quickly and I was able to bottle them without issue. In this case, I was not so lucky. The wine appeared nice and clear when I bottled it. But when I grabbed a bottle to open last night, there was quite a bit of sediment. My first thought was "Oh no! I forgot the sorbate and have a refermentation". Fortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case. But it just goes to show that even when you think the wine is done clearing, it isn't. Give it more time. :wy

Well, as I've found out repeatedly, this is a great hobby for someone who doesn't have as much as time as he'd like to work on things. Other projects keep popping up and my batch is still hanging out in the carboy. I can't tell if it is dropping any more sediment since it has the initial layer from clearing at the bottom. My hope is to get it bottled before I leave for a trip in the middle of the month. I plan to give a bunch out as gifts, so hopefully it is done dropping stuff by then.

Anyone else have similar experience with this kit?

I experienced something similar. I made a Spagnols Raspberry Rose last year that looks perfectly clear in clear bottles. But when I remove it from the refrigerator where I place it to chill, I find a a layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

I never figured out why this happened since it looked so sparklingly clear in the bottle.

I just had a batch of white grape go postal on me. I guess I forgot to sorbate before backsweetening. Had a freaking mess, 4 bottles busted and 20 or so popped their corks. What a waste. I did manage to save most of it, gave it a good dose of kmeta and sorbate, now to wait until it finishes dropping out and I'll try it again

I experienced something similar. I made a Spagnols Raspberry Rose last year that looks perfectly clear in clear bottles. But when I remove it from the refrigerator where I place it to chill, I find a a layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

I never figured out why this happened since it looked so sparklingly clear in the bottle.

If there's none at room temp and it appears only after chilling, that may be tartaric acid dropping out of solution.

Back