Wade's Chocolate Strawberry Port, attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvolf34

Reaction score
I finally decided to give the Chocolate Strawberry port a try. Will keep an updated record here as things progress. I just got all the ingredients and will begin tonight.:i

Be aware that all my recipes make more then the amount needed for topping off purposes later. Nothing worse then trying to find a bottle of something similar, especially something like this! I usually have about 3/4 of a gallon extra. I think youll be pleasently surprised by this concoction. It was actually a Jack Kellar's Chocolate Strawberry wine recipe that I thought was pretty nasty when finished so figured out how to make this drinkable and loved it when all was said and done along with many other people.

Well I got everything all mixed up. I don't know how... But I ended up with 6 gallons :n

18 pounds of frozen strawberries from costco, they had a lot of juice when thawed. I think that added to the extra amount. I added 1 extra cup of chocolate coco, when I remove the bags of strawberries it drops down to 5 gallons. Should I increase the rest of the ingredients too? I did put another 1/8 tsp of k-meta and a lot more sugar!! Empty all the sugar I had and my corn sugar I could only get the SG to 1.090, but some of my sugar might not have desolved all the way. I gave a taste test of the must to my wife and she said... taste like chocolate covered strawberries! Score one for the home team!

Primary:

picture.php

A look inside:

picture.php

Last edited:
Same situation here, I am making it now and ended up with 5 gal+. ?????

Yeah I am at about 5.25 if I take the bags of stawberries out. Just added liquid pectic E this morning, going to pitch Lavlin D-47 tonight.

Yes but when you rack off all that mud there is going to be way less!!!!!!! Yiu re going to have lots of lees with this batch. I dont remember having that much but thats fine.

Wade,

Not a problem. I have a bunch of different sizes of carboys!! The must was awsome, can't wait to try the finished product. How long do you suggest aging it?

As a privileged sampler, I concur this is a very tasty product. It is really chocolatey, yet has a nice strawberry nose and taste. It is very rounded and smooth. Not sure if I ever told you Thank You Wade!

Good to hear Grapeman!! Every since I read this recipe, I have been wanting to try it. Thinking about making the Orange chocolate port from the fine vines recipe section. No one reported back on a taste test though!!

VW, Id give it about 6 m onths for the brandy to blend really nice but it should be good a little earlier due to thye sweetening effect. Grapeman, thank you first and I still havent gotten around to drinking any of your wines but I will make sure I drink one of the whites this weekend. I dont know what it is but I stick a few bottles in my cellar and they never see daylight again, I just seem to run on one wine for awhile and then switch to beer.

HOLY FOAM Batman!!

I used D-47 on my last Apfelwein batch and it was foamy, but this morning, I had foam up to the 7 gal mark!!:db

Wade,
Do you for see any problems with me only get an SG 1.090? I used all the sugar I had in the house!! I figure it will just be a lower ABV, but not affect anything else?

I used Cotes Des Blanc for most of my fruit wines to bring out more fruit flavor and because its a low foamer.

My LHBS doesn't carry Red Star, :( Had to use D-47, thought it was similiar but wow the foam kinda reminds me of the Blob, it just keeps growing.

OK the foam is even worse and pressing up against the lid, I am afraid it is going to start leaking. I think I am going to have to resort to removing some of it. Hope this is ok!!

I usually use 1118 or 1116, but used D-47 because it is supposed to maintain fruit flavor like cotes de blanc. This morning it seems like it is under control now, I removed a huge bowl full of foam last night. Like a halloween candy bowl full :bt

Well SG is at 1.020 foam is not a crazy as it was, but i did have a little foam forming in my test tube when I took the SG. I will rack it at 1.010 and might have to rack again soon after depending upon the the foam.

Help!

Hi Folks,
Any idea where to get Liquid Chocolate Extract and Monin Strawberry Syrup?
I brought back plant city (frozen) strawberrys from our Florida vacation....and hoping to start a batch....

Thanks....recently thawing in Maine after vacationing in Florida

Latest posts

Back