Wade's Chocolate Strawberry Port, attempt

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by vvolf34, Feb 11, 2010.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Feb 18, 2010 #21

Wade E

Wade E

Wade E

Premium

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
  2. Mar 3, 2010 #22

vvolf34

vvolf34

vvolf34

I racked, stabilized and added the extra ingredients. I ended up with 5 gallons after everything was added. I can tell you one thing; this was the stinkiest wine I have yet to encounter.

I also have a lot of floaters in my carboy. I think it might be from the frozen strawberry daiquiri mix. Is it ok to leave it like this for a bit while it clears or should I re-rack it?

I think I am going to add 4 oz more of chocolate extract due to the extra volume, it doesn’t have a chocolate smell like Grapeman mentioned. I might add another half pint of Brandy too; thoughts on that and the chocolate?

3. Mar 4, 2010 #23

vvolf34

vvolf34

vvolf34

Well scratch that, the cap feel down as of this morning, I guess the fining agents did their job. I am slightly worried about refermentation as my airlock is bubbling slowly, maybe 1 evry 2 or 3 minutes. I don't really see signs of it, will have to take an SG reading and see. I did do K-meta and sorbate, so I am hoping it is just out gassing. I am going to go ahead and get 4 oz more of chocolate extract.

4. Mar 5, 2010 #24

Wade E

Wade E

Wade E

Premium

Did you degas this wine before adding the fining agent?

5. Mar 8, 2010 #25

JDL

JDL

JDL

I had the same problem with my first batch of the choc strawberry port. I reracked it and degassed it again. it is currently bulk aging in a 3 gallon carboy and I am going to bottle it in the middle of April.

I sampled it at the last rack which made it about 2 1/2 months old and I could not taste the chocolate really but the strawberry and brandy need to mix and mellow a little bit as it was still pretty tart.

When I bottle it will be about 4 months old and I plan on trying a bottle in august so it will make it 6-7 months at that point.

Jeff

6. Mar 8, 2010 #26

vvolf34

vvolf34

vvolf34

I mixed it up a lot with each addition hoping to properly degass it. I am going to rack it soon when the extra 4 oz of choc extract come in. It is still kinda stinky and I think it might be due to the yeast. It had this same type of smell during the ferment. I hope it changes over time. It kinda reminds me of opening up a bucket of spackling, just kind of a weird smell.

7. Dec 2, 2019 #27

evshro

evshro

evshro

Junior

Is there a link somewhere to this recipe? My wife and I really want to give it a go! Also, any tips?

Many thanks!

8. Dec 2, 2019 #28

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter