Wade - questions on your port receipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gathered all my ingredients for this and am going to start making it this weekend and just have a few more last second questions as my hbs carried little different stuff I got.

1/8 tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme

All I could find was the dry stuff, how much should I use to get it to this level?

1/2 tsp – Tannin

I could only find liquid tannin...is this a problem and should it still be 1/2 tsp?

Cannot wait to start this...first wine from scratch...only second wine ever and hopefully it isnt to difficult.

Thanks,
Jeff

I have already started making this wine...as you know from other threads asking questions about the strainning process since I did not use a fermentation bag, I picked up 5 gallon paint strainer I will use when I rack it.

One other question I had while I was making this recipe was the use of acid blend. Your actual directions say to use ascorbic acid but the ingredient list says acid blend. I went ahead and used acid blend in its place because all the reading I did said ascorbic acid should be added right before bottling and this was during the first step...

Let me know if I am correct on this or if it is different. I cannot change this batch but I like to understand what everything does...

Thanks...
Jeff

I used 3/4 tsp powdered pectic enzyme per gallon (per pkg instructions). And also used acid blend. Batch turned out perfect

Sorry i didnt see this earlier. Ascorbic acjd is also used in the beginning to prevent juice from browning like apple juice or the such, I use this on every white wine or fruit wine that is easily oxidized. I typically put this in the fermenmter as Im adding the fruit along with specified amount of sulfite.

Latest posts

Back