Wacky measurements for 1st time fresh peaches wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only issue I've had with peaches is that when I mash or run them through the slow juicer (Takes a LOT of time for the latter) is that the must is very THICK almost to pudding consistency. That make an accurate SG reading very hard. Other than that and the LONG LONG time it takes peach wine to clear I see nothing wrong with your plans. The most important part is planning for early and heavy use of pectic enzyme, pectinase or whatever type of pectin breakdown additive you chose to use. I've waited almost 18 months for one batch to clear but on the up side, didn't have to de-gas and it was certainly aged enough drink by that time.

As a experimental suggestion - you might try a small portion of your peach wine with pure vanilla extract. That Idea came to me from my very first batch of peach wine. The left over pulp smelled yeasty but there was so much decent looking pulp and skins that I tried a bit of is over vanilla ice cream, it was GREAT ! (First batch didn't get the full-court mash and press process so the gross lees were not totally goopy) Just an idea for a variation. I used vanilla bean for my peach vanilla but actually any good quality REAL vanilla extract is fine just go easy on the additive or you will have a Vanilla - Peach wine not the other way around. It's really great as a chilled wine on a hot day.

@Khristyjeff and @Scooter68 Thank you both for the good info. I have been doing the math and I MAY end up with enough peaches to do 6 gallons (at least to start) but I have to figure out my carboy population since I will anticipate needing carboy space for longer than my usual country wines.

Earlier this year, I started some cacao nibs and vanilla (separately) in vodka so I will have extracts of both to use in my wines. I haven't tried using either yet but the peach with a little vanilla sounds wonderful!

Last edited:
@hounddawg
Your posts are the ones I read about how you "step feed" your wines to get higher ABV, so even though I'm not trying for high ABV, I am trying to boost ABV a bit after I've already started fermentation. I was actually thinking you'd be a great resource to offer me advice on that.

So Dawg, I guess my question for you: Assuming my SG is now 1.072 and I want to boost it to 1.085 using straight sugar, realizing it's been fermenting for 1 day, how much sugar would you add? I'm just looking for ballpark, best guess. I'm shooting for good tasting (the skins and pulp are in fermentor as I type), 10-13% range for ABV.

Thanks, and so glad you're back.
no i was just replying to the from scratch on ABV,,, right now i have a couple carboys of peach, it was very hot, i racked today at around 16 months, the peach is way more peach and while ABV is still a might ruff, but i believe in another year it will be very good, most all of my past wines were from scratch, now I've went full tilt into concentrates. this allows less water and more concentrate.
which allows to front load your flavor, then time helps most all,
i would let it ferment, as it slows. i'd add yeast energizer and yeast nutrient , stir take SG that add small amounts of dry sugar to add till you have raised your SG by .010, that should ball park you,
Dawg

The only issue I've had with peaches is that when I mash or run them through the slow juicer (Takes a LOT of time for the latter) is that the must is very THICK almost to pudding consistency. That make an accurate SG reading very hard. Other than that and the LONG LONG time it takes peach wine to clear I see nothing wrong with your plans. The most important part is planning for early and heavy use of pectic enzyme, pectinase or whatever type of pectin breakdown additive you chose to use. I've waited almost 18 months for one batch to clear but on the up side, didn't have to de-gas and it was certainly aged enough drink by that time.

As a experimental suggestion - you might try a small portion of your peach wine with pure vanilla extract. That Idea came to me from my very first batch of peach wine. The left over pulp smelled yeasty but there was so much decent looking pulp and skins that I tried a bit of is over vanilla ice cream, it was GREAT ! (First batch didn't get the full-court mash and press process so the gross lees were not totally goopy) Just an idea for a variation. I used vanilla bean for my peach vanilla but actually any good quality REAL vanilla extract is fine just go easy on the additive or you will have a Vanilla - Peach wine not the other way around. It's really great as a chilled wine on a hot day.
yup time,,
Dawg

The peach wine has been aging in a carboy since I last posted here. I've been checking SG which has been very slowly ticking down. It's currently at 0.997. 4 days ago was at 0.998. Yesterday and today, I've noticed a slight rotten egg smell, so stirred it last night (which didn't help) and used the drill and whip on it tonight. Anything else I should try?
Does this mean I have stressed yeast? Then should I add Yeast Nutrient?
I also want to use clearing agents on this but wondering if it's ok to add them now. All your advice has been most helpful so appreciate any more help you can offer.

I have also had a rotten egg smell (H2S) due to stressed yeast. If it is only slight, it may dissipate when you rack the wine. I would wait until you are sure that fermentation has finished and then rack it with added Kmeta. Then wait a few days and see if the smell is still there.

A few months ago I had a problem with this smell that persisted in the secondary. I added a full does of Kmeta and racked it back and forth three times using my All in One pump. That pulled most of the H2S out of the wine. If you do not have a vacuum pump, you can "splash rack" it several times (e.g. let the wine splash against the side of the carboy while you rack it.)

At this point, yeast nutrient won't help, as fermentation is either done or very close. I would not wait to add K-meta. If caught early, H2S can be eliminated, but the longer you wait, the harder it is as it produces side effects that must also be treated.

At this point, yeast nutrient won't help, as fermentation is either done or very close. I would not wait to add K-meta. If caught early, H2S can be eliminated, but the longer you wait, the harder it is as it produces side effects that must also be treated.
Thanks. I'll add 1/4 tsp or a hair less today for this 3 gallon batch. If I'm wanting to add chitosan and kieselsol, and maybe more pectic enzyme as I've seen some people add that at this point, is there any thing magical about the timing or order in which they are added? Again, I'll add the K-Meta today regardless. Thanks.

It may not matter, but I'd add the K-meta and stir well. Some sources mentioned a double-dose of K-meta to treat H2S, so I wouldn't stint on the K-meta. K-meta works by binding to contaminants in the wine, so it can get used up quickly.

Last fall I had a batch hit by H2S and I used about a 2.5x dose of K-meta. I never detected any hint of excess SO2, although with H2S, it's hard to smell anything else. YUCK!!

Next I'd add the pectic enzyme and let it set 3 days to give it a chance to work. My first time using pectic enzyme post-fermentation was on a cherry wine that had what looked like silver ribbons in the wine. Six hours after adding the pectic, the ribbons were gone, but I'd err on the side of caution and give it at least a few days.

Finally add the kieselsol/chitosan, as the wine should be in a good state to precipitate the sediment.

So I added a double dose of K-meta, then several hours later a double plus dose of pectic enzyme. That was yesterday. Here's how it looks this evening. Progress. Do you suggest adding more or just wait a few days then add the kieselsol/chitosan? Thanks again for your help. What a wealth of knowledge!
IMG_3332.jpeg

Still smells like sulfur but I think slightly less. I have a Petite Pearl that smelled bad for several weeks that went away so hopefully same results here. @cmason1957, I'll take your advice as well, and stir every few days or so, and above all, have a glass of wine and chill. Thanks.

If it were mine I'd airlock it and forget it for at least 2 months or more, you have a long ways to go, from the highest ring up is wine, from highest ring down is, in bad need of a lot more time,
relax, sip some skitter pee ,it has a fair amount of time to go,, , you really need to let your pectic work, i have apple, peach, banana which all are in carboys from14 to around 18 months, have just started to rack them, i have 3 or 4 types of reds , that are are about 16 to 18 months, and they will age for at least 2 years be for i do any thing with them, seem you got plenty K-Meta in it, in a month or two you can add some more pectic enzyme, to help break up more solids, peach from takes plenty of patience and then even more patience ,,,,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back