Wacky measurements for 1st time fresh peaches wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So since everyone else has chimed in... I guess I might as well too. :h

I would rack now to get it away from any remaining HS2 related residue. It's not going to hurt to rack now but it might risk some permenant contamination of by the HS2 and other off elements in the gross lees.

I would also go ahead and add the clearing agents of your choice.

And I would also plan on a L O N G clearing and aging time.

I've only made about 5 batches of peach wine but EVERYONE without exception has taken at least a year to completely clear - even with K&C and Bentonite.
I even made multiple applications of Bentonite to one batch and it still took 16-17 months to clear enough to satisfy me.

The good news is that, except for the first batch which was very "light on the palate," every batch has had excellent flavor and aroma.

Even used 1/4 of a vanilla bean in one 2 gallon batch. That proved to be a bit too much vanilla, but the wine was still excellent.

OK I've tossed enough into discussion - Your wine looks excellent and should turn out well with that HS2 odor gone.

(PS I think someone may have already mentioned it... but Reduless is a good product to solve the HS2 odor/issue)

So since everyone else has chimed in... I guess I might as well too. :h

I would rack now to get it away from any remaining HS2 related residue. It's not going to hurt to rack now but it might risk some permenant contamination of by the HS2 and other off elements in the gross lees.

I would also go ahead and add the clearing agents of your choice.

And I would also plan on a L O N G clearing and aging time.

I've only made about 5 batches of peach wine but EVERYONE without exception has taken at least a year to completely clear - even with K&C and Bentonite.
I even made multiple applications of Bentonite to one batch and it still took 16-17 months to clear enough to satisfy me.

The good news is that, except for the first batch which was very "light on the palate," every batch has had excellent flavor and aroma.

Even used 1/4 of a vanilla bean in one 2 gallon batch. That proved to be a bit too much vanilla, but the wine was still excellent.

OK I've tossed enough into discussion - Your wine looks excellent and should turn out well with that HS2 odor gone.

(PS I think someone may have already mentioned it... but Reduless is a good product to solve the HS2 odor/issue)
Hi Scooter68. Are you recommending I rack again now? It's been about a week since I racked to the smaller jugs.

Yes. As long as you are decently careful not to introduce too much oxygen into the wine, another racking is not going to hurt it. The fewer lees and debris that could have any remaining HS2 contamination the better for your wine. Just remember the standard rule of thumb is to add K-Meta approximately every 3 months. So racking again not does not mean you need to add K-Meta again unless it's been 3 months since the last K-Meta addition.

Yes. As long as you are decently careful not to introduce too much oxygen into the wine, another racking is not going to hurt it. The fewer lees and debris that could have any remaining HS2 contamination the better for your wine. Just remember the standard rule of thumb is to add K-Meta approximately every 3 months. So racking again not does not mean you need to add K-Meta again unless it's been 3 months since the last K-Meta addition.
I noticed my purse the temp to take peach wine it was taking a long long time to clear and I'm also worried about racking which can introduce oxygen. My first attempt at making wine was with fresh pineapple and it came out very very good there's just a distant taste of pineapple and it wasn't too dry and it certainly wasn't too sweet but I think peaches are much more hard to work with. My next Target is plum wine.

Back