WA Merlot numbers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet

Reaction score
I just fermented my first pail of WA Merlot, from frozen grapes. I was a little disappointed when I tested the must and discovered it was deficient in both sugar and pH (19.5° & 3.76). Is this typical of WA Merlot, or did I just get a bad pail?

I have never made a bucket of grapes but can say thats sometimes typical of a bucket of juice but also sometimes when you get them they have started ermentation too!

Exactly, were these pre-innoculated with yeast perhaps? WA grapes are known to be slightly on the high pH side of things.

It shouldn't have been pre-inoculated. The must was thawed but had not yet achieved room temperature. I wouldn't have expected yeast (cultured or wild) to have burned 2deg Brix at such a low temperature (the pail's marked 21.5deg Brix).

I guess it should be alright, even if the Brix was correct as marked. Even with the sugar I added, the final alcohol shouldn't be above 15%.

Are these the 2 Mountain Merlot from M&M? I bought 3 pails in April and my #'s were 22.5 brix and 3.73 PH.

Are these the 2 Mountain Merlot from M&M? I bought 3 pails in April and my #'s were 22.5 brix and 3.73 PH.

Yes. It's marked Merlot TMB1PLME. I got mine earlier in the year and it's been in the deep freeze.

Latest posts

Back