Quantcast

vs. section to find what is better

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

BMac

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry in advance if there is a section for this already.
Today I was shopping for a new kit and couldn't really decide. It was between RJ Spagnols "Grand Cru Valpolicella" and Vineco "Kenridge Classic Valpolicella". I ended up going with the Kenridge. It got me thinking that a section within these forums to find the best kits with a poll would be a great idea.

Example: (i've only made middle-lower range kits)

10L Shootout:
Grand Cru Whites vs. Kenridge Classic Whites
Grand Cru Reds vs. Kenridge Classic Reds

I've been told that GC red are not as good as the KRC reds but that the GC whites are better then KRC.

Could even take it a step further and have a high-end Merlot shootout.
That way people who are unsure will have a better understanding of what to pick.

Hopefully that made some sort of sense

Thanks,
Brad

cpfan

Reaction score
There is so much personal preference in this kind of thing. Having run a store selling both Grand Cru and KenRidge Classic, I will say that the quality is very similar.

Grand Cru has a larger range of varieties than Ken Ridge Classic. The Grand Cru Chamblaise was the best selling 4-week white in the store. KRC did not have a Chamblaise in the line. KRC Merlot was the best selling kit in the store. Some customers enjoyed the GC Merlot. Someday I will do a Grand Cru International Washington Merlot.

BTW, On the forums, there are fewer people with access to Vineco products (ie Ken Ridge) because it has poor distribution in the USA.

Finally, you want to make a Valpolicella? I would have picked the Cru Select Valpolicella Ripasa. BTW, Oct 2008, I started a Vineco Legacy Valpolicella. It's good, but I prefer the Ken Ridge Classic Merlot.

Steve

Last edited:

BMac

Reaction score
Steve, you have many valid points. Everyone has such a wide range in taste. I guess if I am trying to decide between a few different wines, I'll just ask.

I do eventually want to get into the Cru Select range, but since I have never done a red yet, I wanted something that won't need as much age as I will be using this mostly for Xmas gifts. Plus it will also give me some cheaper wine to use as top-off on the higher end wine.

I want to keep it in the Grand Cru/Kenridge Classic range for a while (probably another 2-3 whites and 1-2 reds) until I have enough wine to bulk age the Cru Select they way they deserve it.

Thank for the suggestions on the Ripassa, I do eventually want to make that.

Brad

cpfan

Reaction score
As I mentioned, the Ken Ridge Classic Merlot was the best selling kit in my store. Part of the reason is that it is very good young. Many customers started drinking as soon as it was bottled (5 weeks). Of course, it's better with some age, like 2-3 months or more.

Steve

BMac

Reaction score
Good to know that the KRC Merlot was a good wine young. I'm sure it holds true for the Valpolicella. It will have about 3 months of aging before it is given out as gifts. I'll also get a few bottle to keep for myself :dg

cpfan

Reaction score
Good to know that the KRC Merlot was a good wine young. I'm sure it holds true for the Valpolicella. It will have about 3 months of aging before it is given out as gifts. I'll also get a few bottle to keep for myself :dg
Didn't sell a lot of Valpolicella in the store, but feedback was that none of the KRC reds were as good young as the Merlot. A couple of good customers would make a KRC Merlot and a KRC Vieux Chateau du Roi at the same time. Drink the Merlot young, and ignore the VCR until all the Merlot was gone. Both said that the VCR was not good young, but better than the Merlot after aging. Didn't sell much Barolo either, but one customer loved the KRC BVarolo if aged at least six months.

So sometimes it's the variety not just the brand.

Steve

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
As Steve has mentioned, we dont really have acess to the Kenridge series down here but I can speak from experience that Steves recommendation of the Crus Select Valp, Ripassa is an excellent one. Mine is about 3 years old now and is awesome. I tried a few of the cheaper red kits and dint really like any of them so stopped making any of them and stepped up to the RJS Winery Series and Cru Select And EP and will never look back.
By the way. I had a forum on here for rating kits against say price or other kits but it didnt do well so out it went.

Latest posts