WineXpert VRWV Aust. Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
I'm tellin' ya..making wine is like having kids...you worry and worry over 'em...
So...I have a VR World Vineyard Australian Shriaz perking away in secondary fermentation.

Pretty much from the time I put it in the bottle (which was 9 days ago), ain't much been happening... Its sorta sitting there...there's a very very tiny fine fine line of bubbles around the top of the juice. Maybe its just me..but it seems like if I look at the surface of the juice from the side its almost like there is a film..maybe a slick (but of what?)..that's not the right word but maybe this'll sound familiar to someone here.

I tried some the other night. Its a little thin...it doesn't taste too bad...but I wouldn't exactly rave about it at this point either.

I'm about to take a sample and do a reading and take its temperature. Could I stir this up again during secondary in hopes of starting something or should I just ignore it. I was thinking about letting it go 3 weeks in secondary fermentation vs. the recommended 14 days....

Thoughts, questions?

Thank you!

once you go to secondary it will slow down as it nears dryness(.996 ish im guessing) what was the S.G when you racked to glass?
The film will disappear when its done fermenting. As far as the body of the wine goes don't judge it from the carboy it will be thin. bottle it and the try it at 1-2 months intervals. you will be surprised how much it changes at about 5-6 months in the bottle. The flavor and bouqet will improve as well. keep me updated on this one....remember Its becoming one of my favorites when Mrs. Chevy and I go to Dinner....

What was the SG when you transferred it. It may have been done fermenting at that point, so didn't do much. First thing is check the SG. If it is done fermenting, follow the directions in a timely manner. That will get it topped up at the proper time and help prevent problems. It's fine to let it sit longer during bulk aging, but try to be reasonably timely in the early stages.

A lower temp will cause a slower fermentation. The time schedule given by manufacturers is just a gauge according to a temp given and even then can be slower or faster. Let it ferment all the way out. You can not proceed to the next step until it is done fermenting. These kits will be thinner then a lot of commercials but Im not familiar with this 1. There are a few of these smaller kits that are pretty darn good though.

Edited by: wade

Will do...I just have to keep chanting "Numbers never lie...Numbers never lie...Number never...unless manipulated by Enron...Numbers never...."

smiley36.gif

Temp of juice 76.3, SG 0.996 which is on target.

Color is great on this one!

I will stop worrying about it and know it will hold its own.

Thanks Apple...that's a great point...so I'll plan on doing the clearing stage on Sunday.

After the 14 day wait for clearing, I plan to rack into another glass carboy and add my hungarian house toast chips to it and then keep an eye on it from there.

Thanks again!

Just make sure that the SG is stable a few days in a row as We've seen some go down as far as under .990.

If mine goes any lower, I'm going to have to go see George and get a bigger test jar! I'm pushing the limits now!

smiley1.gif

This Shiraz was the very first kit I made. It was a bit thin for months, but now it just keeps getting better and better.

It will continue to improve with age tcb...Your patience will be well rewarded

Back