WineXpert VR riesling first racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

padre

Abstract Pet Groomer
Reaction score
This is my first time ever making wine. I'm making a VR riesling. Initial SG was 1.080, and after 6 days, it was 1.010. Temperatures have remained just over 70F throughout the process.

Everything's nice & clean (and brand new, as well).

I've never used a siphon before, and didn't have anyone experienced handy to look on and ensure that I did this right.

As best I can tell, no little bits of ugly crap made it into the carboy from the primary bucket, but I have about .75" of kinda pink stuff at the bottom of the carboy that I assume to be yeast. Is this fine & dandy, or should I do anything different before letting it sit and chill for the next 10 days?

Thanks in advance.

padre:

When transferring the wine from primary to carboy, I don't worry about any sediment that might get transferred. With an sg of 1.010, you need to be sure that some yeast is present to finish the fermentation.

I don't worry about sediment until getting ready to bottle.

BTW, regarding your 'sit and chill' comment. I hope you don't mean lowering the temperature. Winexpert recommends that the 70-75F temp be maintained through out making the wine. In fact a recent post by their Technical Manager says 75F is the preferred temp through out.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks!

By "sit and chill" I mean "Rob doesn't fiddle with it for a week and a half" instead of a literal reference to temperature. So far it's managed to stay between 72-74 F without any special effort on my part.

I have it sitting on a table in my living room, far from the fireplace, door, or anything else that I'd expect to present temperature instability.

Last edited:
By "sit and chill" I mean "Rob doesn't fiddle with it for a week and a half" instead of a literal reference to temperature. So far it's managed to stay between 72-74 F without any special effort on my part.

I have it sitting on a table in my living room, far from the fireplace, door, or anything else that I'd expect to present temperature instability.
I was hoping that was what you meant, but thought I better comment, just in case. Especially as temperature after racking to carboy is an oft-asked question for beginners.

Steve

So far the detail that stands out the most is that my glub-glub-glub has been replaced by a bloop-bloop-bloop.

Back