VR Mezza Luna Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100LL

Reaction score
just got done racking it into a secondary after 6 days in the primary at a SG level of approx 1.000. For some reason this kit, and the one before seemed to reach the low SG levels earlier than the directions said....guess its a good thing :)

anyway, try as i might with siphoning every last drop off of what sediment and oak chips were in the bottom i was still left with some head space at the top of the carboy, now i know that its not a problem now, but when i go to bulk age i want to top it off.

any suggestions for a like wine to top off?, since i dont want to (gasp) use water

You can use pretty much any red wine you want to top off. It's already a blended table wine, so the style really doesn't matter that much.

I used a couple bottles of Merlot that I had made for the Luna Rosa, and that turned out really well.

Peace,
Bob

ok thanks for the heads up.

any experience with using an inert gas to fill up the headspace? have heard that this is an easy way to do it as well....

Unless you are adding like 4 bottles, 1 or 2 wont even be noticed at all.

any suggestions for a like wine to top off?, since i dont want to (gasp) use water

I think this is a Merlot/Cab Sav blend, so I would just pick up a couple bottles of yellowtail or penguin to top off with, until you have a kit of the same variety that you can steal a bottle from.

Enjoy!

just degassed and added the sulfites today....wow did this kit foam up when i stirred it. I barely had much to deal with on my white i did last month. i actually had some foam up and over :(

anyway, it was wierd that the SG level read .994 when the kit said that the VR Mezza Luna Red's wont ferment past .998

hope it turns out right in a few months ( i will bulk age it for around 3 months )

Fermenting "too low" is never a problem!! In fact pat yourself on the back you must have done some things right to get it to ferment this low. I've done two Luna Rosa batches and both stopped dead at 0.998, but I have heard of this kit and yours going lower.

The instructions say that, in my opinion, because they found this kit often died out around 0.998 and they got tired of all the support calls.

I expect after three months it's going to be really good!

well hey that's good to hear...can't wait to see how these wines turn out. I have never made wine before and right now i am about 1/2 month away from bottling my Gewurztraminer that's been bulk aging for a few weeks. :) haha the wait is killing me....will it turn out.....or not....haha that's the question

Latest posts

Back