VP41 Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always used VP41culture in the past doing co-inoculation and it has worked out well sometimes just sprinkling it in the must or rehydrating.

My question is regarding rehydration of a 66 gallon dose. Instructions are to rehydrate in 20 times the packages weight of 2.5 grams, so 2.5 x 20 = 50ml.

Is that correct? 50ml is barely any water and difficult to distribute over 2 fermenting tanks...

https://catalogapp.lallemandwine.co.../5e91f0c36b51e1fb97151afde80957fd02beaf85.pdf

I have always used VP41culture in the past doing co-inoculation and it has worked out well sometimes just sprinkling it in the must or rehydrating.

My question is regarding rehydration of a 66 gallon dose. Instructions are to rehydrate in 20 times the packages weight of 2.5 grams, so 2.5 x 20 = 50ml.

Is that correct? 50ml is barely any water and difficult to distribute over 2 fermenting tanks...

https://catalogapp.lallemandwine.co.../5e91f0c36b51e1fb97151afde80957fd02beaf85.pdf

You are correct, and it's a bit hard to distribute like that. What I typically do is rehydrate the VP41 in the 50 ml of water and also add the 50g package of ActiML to the mix, along with the requisite amount of water for mixing it into, which is 250 ml. This will give you 300 ml of ActiML / VP41 mixture, a large enough batch of liquid / slurry to evenly divide amongst multiple fermenters. Just make sure to keep it agitated as you go through the distribution process so that you don't end up with all of the solids sitting in the bottom of your original container.

Thanks guys for your inputs. I never used the ActiML in the past so I'll probably just stick with the regular water rehydration and poor it carefully.

Last year I actually added more water like 100ml and MLF worked just fine.

Back