Volume Error

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started my second batch of wine a few weeks ago. It's a Wine Expert Vintners Reserve Riesling kit. I made up the must in my bucket and had an OG of 1.088 (~12% potential alcohol). I let it ferment to about 1.002 then transfered to my 6 gallon glass carboy. Upon finishing the transfer, I was suprised to see that the liquid was only to the 5 gallon mark on the carboy :confused: . Curious, I looked at the primary bucket and sure enough, there was a ring of sediment at the 5 gallon mark. I must have zoned out while filling the bucket and, since I've been brewing beer for a few years now, I naturally stopped at 5 gallons.

My plan is it top off when the kit suggests to (when adding the stablizer). I'm assuming that my mistake is no big deal, but I what to make sure since I don't know the wine making process that well yet.

So, I'm I OK or did I really mess up?

No big deal, don't swet it. Keep the carboy topped off though, with an SG of 1.002 it's almost finished working and you don't want oxidation.

Latest posts

Back