Volant Mill Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be heading to my SIL house tomorrow in Embleton. We are planning on stopping at the winery on the way home. The people who own Kavic Winery told me the pear wine at Volant is pretty good and recommended we give it a try. Any other suggestions for those that have been there?

Thanks

Edelweiss and they do have an elderberry if you are interested.

The folks at Kavic make a darn good Cab. Sav., considering that it's a PA winery. They're very friendly, too, as I was invited to tour their winery (In the basement.) on the spur of the moment when I mentioned that I am an amateur wine maker. I try to go there and buy a couple of bottles every time that I'm in Carnegie.

Doug, many of the empty bottles I just picked up were from Kavic winery. Must be good.

Are you taling about the ones from the bride show? They do have good wine. Labels come off easy too, no real need for soaking.

They are and it does take some elbow grease to get some off. We visited their winery on our way back from Deep Creek one year.

Got home from Embleton about 25 minutes ago. We stopped at Volant and tried a few. We ended up bringing home 2 pear, 1 Vidal Blanc, and a Dechaunac. The pear is good, it's a sweet wine.

I think we will try to make a batch of pear wine this summer. If I can't get pears at a farm, I can always get them in the Strip District relatively cheap I think. Guess that's one advantage to working down there. There are a ton of produce companies.

Anyone have any good recipes they can recommend?

Got home from Embleton about 25 minutes ago. We stopped at Volant and tried a few. We ended up bringing home 2 pear, 1 Vidal Blanc, and a Dechaunac. The pear is good, it's a sweet wine.

I think we will try to make a batch of pear wine this summer. If I can't get pears at a farm, I can always get them in the Strip District relatively cheap I think. Guess that's one advantage to working down there. There are a ton of produce companies.

Anyone have any good recipes they can recommend?

Start asking around to the people you work with and friends and family to see if anyone has a pear tree. There are more pear trees out there than you think and a lot of people do not use the pears.

I'll look through my notes on how I made mind and post them for you, I do know that I had added about a gallon of water and I won't do that again. The flavor seems to be weak. I started with 5 gallons and ended with 3 gallons.

Doug I have to bottle a pear wine from a s3it load of pears from a woman up the street. They have way more than they need. I made it just like my apple jack. I did blend 3 gallons to make a apple cranberry pear (sg 1.019), a gallon of peach mango pear (sg 1.019)and 1 1/2 gallons of pear (sg 1.012).I'll get you some.

Latest posts

Back