Vitner's Harvest Gooseberry fruit base

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

coulee29

Any recipe suggestions? I was thinking of starting at 3 gal and adjusting acid by adding additionsl water (up to 5 gallons). And then ferment.

Have you bought it yet? Vintner's Harvest bases have the recipe on the label. I have made a raspberry. It is pretty good. Was easy to make and easy directions to follow.

Smurfe :)

I followed the directions. Well.. almost. I made the 3 gallon recipe and used less sugar than it called for. The target SG was 1.085 - 1.090. I got a reading of 1.102 with only adding 6 lbs of sugar rather than the 7 lbs that the recipe called for.
I want to stop the fermention early. What SG should I stop it at? I don't want it very sweet; just enough to balance with acidity (TA .58)

Are you wanting to stop the fermentation becasue you want a sweeter wine or becasue you do not want the alcohol content by fermenting to dry? If it is just for a sweeter, more balanced wine I would suggest letting it ferment to dry and back sweeten to taste. It is tough to stop a fermentation, particularly if you are doing it to taste.

Smurfe :)

I spoke with someone at my local brew store who been brewing since he was sixteen. He often stops the fermention early and without difficulty. I'm going to follow his instrutions (though I havn't tasted his wine...) Also, I want a lower %Alcohol- around 12. This is only the third wine I'm making. I fermented the other two out dry, but I want to try other techniques and have some fun appling some practical use for all the chem and bio from my undergrad studies. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back