visited new winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
visited carolina vineyards winery at barefoot landing while on vaca in south carolina! tasted and bought some good wine. noticed something i had not at other places before...this place would have the same wines, but in different levels??? it would be the same blend, but in sweet, medium, or dry? how'd they do that?

They either do that by sweetening some at different levels or by cold crashing some and sterile filtering it before its done fermenting. Im not sure if they are allowed to sweeten back or not.

the added sweeting makes sense...is there a short version of cold crashing, lol

You somehow (either by use of a fridge or freezer with a control on it or make this type of wine in the winter) and then just submit your wine to temps of around 37* fpor about 1 month as those temps are too cold for the yeast to work and after that month immediately rack off leaving the yeast behind that has all settled out. The only reason it is all in suspension is because of the fermentation as it acts like a lave lamp with stuuf floating up to the top in the middle and then falling back down on the sides.

cool...no pun intended, lol
i only tried the wines i thought i would like. we bought barefoot blush in medium and sweet...southern belle...and a dry/oak for a friend. dry isn't my thing currently, but i'm expanding my palette (?sp) and it WAS very balanced.
the sweet blush was VERY different from the medium...it almost had an anise/licoriceness to it? i didn't care for it either. the southern belle was my favorite. all the wines i bought are fruit blends, except for the dry.

You will find yourself most likely liking red wines with time. When I started drinking wine I hated red wine and now I love them all.

I once drank a Barefoot Pinto Grigio magnum by myself and don't remember much after. Found my pants in the garden in the morning. :d It was very good wine.

You will find yourself most likely liking red wines with time. When I started drinking wine I hated red wine and now I love them all.
I too along SWMBO started out with semi sweet wines. Now we mostly drink big reds and my fruit wines

i am going to try either blackberry or peach next here at home! i am trying to read all the past posts on these...this is a great site!

well, i visited another winery today. it is the one closest to where i live. purple toad winery in paducah ky. i mentioned the chardonnay peach in another thread and it was great. i tried their strawberry today and it was AWESOME!!! bought some of both...can't wait for the weekend. having a surprise birthday party for a friend...party coming!!!

Latest posts

Back