Vishnick - Sweet cherry wine, or maybe it's a liqueur - Advice for bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never got around to bottling it. I really need to get on that.

I was able to make a second batch out of the same cherries. It's just as good. Now I have a bunch of cherries sitting in the fridge waiting to be turned into jam and pies. Adult jams and pies. =)

Interesting, thanks! I got three little mason jar batches going the other day. One I pitted the cherries, one I left untouched, and the other I left untouched but added a bit of lemon juice as some of the recipes call for. The pitted one seems to be up to some adventures, but the whole cherry ones seem to just be sitting there. Not sure if I should be expecting more, or if it takes the untouched cherries a bit more time to get going.

My Mom just reminded me there is a Danish and German version of this called Rumtopf (aka Rum Pot)....fruit, sugar, and a high proof rum.
I realize that the last message on this thread was 7 months ago, but I have a reason for asking this. I was able to spend 6 weeks traveling around Europe during the summer of 1981. While there, I found some relatives of mine in Celle, Germany and spent 5 days with them. They served me an alcoholic beverage that tasted to me just like an alcoholic Ludens Cherry Cough Drop. He said that it was from Denmark. He used the term ölig (pronounced close to ER-lig) which means "oily" in German to describe it. It wasn't the consistency of water, but it wasn't quite as thick as a cordial. After about 1 1/2 glasses of it, I could tell that I was going out. I had only had my first beer a few weeks earlier at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich.

Anyway, I have inquired at a couple package stores about what this could have been. I was told that it might have been a brandy.

In reading this thread on Vishnick, it sounds a lot like whatever this was that my relatives served me in Germany. Might anyone here have an idea?

Regardless, I want to try this recipe.

Thanks,
Keith

My batch using sweet cherries, Bings, was definitely alcoholic, definitely cherry, and definitely still sweet. I didn't give it time to age like I would have liked, as it - and a blackberry counterpart done in the same fashion - both became 'f-packs' for a blackberry-cherry melomel I still have, from 2011.

I need to repeat this, and let it age
It's worth it..

My three little jars (above), are still sitting there waiting for me to do something with them. I was actually just thinking about them the other day! I did top them up with vodka after 1 month, as recommended, but as they weren't rotten by then, I'm assuming they fermented. They all looked different, but none smelled rancid. Now they've been aging for ~7 months now, so I should take a look and see what I got!

Latest posts

Back