Virgin Vintner's Post

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess from what you're saying is that the suger just disbursed the remainig CO2 and did not contribute to the fermentation process. I was hoping that it would increase the alcohol content and drop my hydrometer a few lines...guess not..

It was a reaction both due to the solids giving the C02 a surface like I said and the added 02 to it aso. Ever stir a batch of wine while its fermenting very good, be careful, it will do the same thingfrom the added 02.

On the 19th (in the PM) I racked and added the yeast and other stuff as mentioned in a previous post. On the 24th, there is some activity (barely any activity except the volcanic explosion from the added sugar since the 19th). Now, there are frequent tiny bubbles coming up and my airlock is bubbling every 7 seconds or thereabouts. I took a reading of 1.014 3 days ago, prior to the bubble activity. The kicker is, I've been at work and haven't kept the electric blanket turned on and the carboy temperature has fallen. I'm sure below the 70 degree mark, but the activty shows that fermentation is coming along. I'm thinking of taking a reading after the bubbles have stopped, probably in 3-4 days. should I keep the e-blanket on or do you think maybe the temp was too high which prevented much fermentation (I used Red Star champagne yeast - which works better in cooler temps, I think)?

I just tested the merlot and it's at 1.010 and tastes much much better. I racked it off the lees from the MB and degassed. Things are looking good.
Although I have a question...
To help it clarify, what should I add before bottling? Assuming I'm going to let it settle for 10 - 14 days first. Thanks!

vv, I wouldn't 'plan' on any bottling dates just yet....I have had some wines that have taken up to 4 months to clear before bottling. I personally let the wine clear naturally before I consider adding any other chemicals to aid in clearing. I'm sure you will find, like most of us have when beginning, that waiting is the hardest part of winemaking, but time is your biggest friend :hug :h

I don't recommend bottling until at least 60 days has past. The true measures of minimum bottling time are: 1) Has your wine cleared enough and this is somewhat dependent on whether you use clarifying and fining agents and filter the wine or not; and 2) has all yeast and malobacteria, if any, ceased activity, i.e. is dead. If not you may end up with sediment in the bottles and/or resumed fermentation in the bottles (especially if there is any residual sugar that has not been digested by the yeast.)

It is important that stabilizing agents (SO2 and K-sorbate) are at appropriate levels to prevent bacterial growth and to prevent any refermentation activity in the bottle. Fining agents, claifiers, and filtering are important to produce a professional looking finished product. They won't affect taste so much as to give a good visual result. If you don't mind hazy or cloudy wine or sediment, than by all means don't use them. However, most people do mind and use one or more of these agents.

Fred

Surlees,
Would you say that 60 day requirement that you mentioned could be considered 'bulk aging"? I'm comparing my progress from my first 2 attempts to the instructions from a Vintners Reserve wine kit. I haven't added (or even purchased) the metabisulphate, sorbate and chitosan/isinglass to the merlot or MB as of yet. Actually, I did add Camden tablets (crushed) to the MB about a week ago.

I originally wasn't planning on it and was intending for it to clear naturally. But the more research I conduct, it seems more important that I do add these fiing/clarifying agents.

Last edited:
V.V.,
I didn't mean that 60 days was a requirement, only that wine needs time (aging) to develop it's full potential. You can drink it (and maybe enjoy it if you just want the alcohol) as soon as it's finished fermenting. There'e a reason why when you buy a red commercial wine it's 1 or more years old and it's not because vintners like looking at it in their warehouses.

The only absolute requirements for aging are to keep enough SO2 (Campden or K-meta) in the wine to protect against bacterial growth, to keep it topped up to avoid oxidation, and to add sorbate if there's any possibilty of residual sugar in the wine to avoid refermentation in the bottle.

Fred

Well, I racked both the MB and merlot, topped off with wine and added Campden tablets. The merlot is at 1.010 and it's done. I don't think i can do anything with it now. The MB is at .998 and there's been no change for about a month, so I think it's finished too. I've decided not to add any clarifiers...I'm just gonna sit this one out and bulk age. Maybe in about 6 months, there will be some taste change for the better and if not, I could always try mixing the 2.

Latest posts

Back