Viognier...here we go again? What should I do different? Another shot at it in 2020?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
are you sure the buttery taste was not due to dyacetil formation? This happens during MLF and not just because you set your wine on the lees. Lees will help indeed in a further complete extraction of therpene volatile compounds. Take care.

This is my understanding as well.

But aging sur lie can contribute to the "fatter" style that is associated with MLF'ed white wines. A little mannoproteins never hurt anyone!
Indeed, as fat style is related to mannoprotein content. But MLF fermentation is not a obligate "happening" during sur lie. It just can happen either not.

I opened a 2018 Viognier and 2019 Chenin Blanc that I made this weekend and tried both side by side. I intervened on both wines to reduce the acidity. The Vio I added potassium carbonate, the Chenin I went out of my way to cold crash the wine. Tasting side by side, I think I went too far on the Vio and it seems to be lacking to me now, when compared to the Chenin. If I have to reduce the acid on the Vio this year, which I expect to, it will be through cold crashing.

I'm about to bottle my 2019 Virginia Viognier (I think). Did a racking about two weeks ago and haven't seen any sediment since, so I think it's ready. I haven't filtered any wines in a while, but I think I want to filter this one and the Petite Manseng from the same source. I need to see if I have a 1 micron filter and would do both.

@mainshipfred : I owe you at least a bottle of each.

Last edited:
What pH did the Viognier settle in at the end?

I opened a 2018 Viognier and 2019 Chenin Blanc that I made this weekend and tried both side by side. I intervened on both wines to reduce the acidity. The Vio I added potassium carbonate, the Chenin I went out of my way to cold crash the wine. Tasting side by side, I think I went too far on the Vio and it seems to be lacking to me now, when compared to the Chenin. If I have to reduce the acid on the Vio this year, which I expect to, it will be through cold crashing.

I'm about to bottle my 2019 Virginia Viognier (I think). Did a racking about two weeks ago and haven't seen any sediment since, so I think it's ready. I haven't filtered any wines in a while, but I think I want to filter this one and the Petite Manseng from the same source. I need to see if I have a 1 micron filter and would do both.

@mainshipfred : I owe you at least a bottle of each.

Not sure what filter you have but I have 1 and. 5 pads for the Mini Jet you're welcome to. Also, I bottled my Vio and PM and 2 Roses a few months ago but haven't tried any of them yet.

It would be interesting to see what its sitting at since it now seems flat/flabby. If you think about it next time you open one, stick a meter in that glass and take a note for next time.

I went and checked my notes and I’m not sure I ever recorded it. I have a few bottles left, so it would be easy enough to check.

It is game on, albeit a year later! Dropping bins off Saturday, Viognoir harvest on Sunday. We will do a final brix check on Saturday to make sure, but we should be close to our 24 brix target. @Boatboy24 and @mainshipfred are you doing Vio this year?

There are three people splitting the 2,000 pounds of grapes. We will haul the two macrobins back in our pick-up trucks, pitch fork on a chute into a destemmer. The destemmer will then collect in a 5 gallon bucket, which will go right into the press. The press will then go into another 5 gallon bucket, where the juice will be pumped into containers that people will transport the juice in. Pics to follow.

This vineyard owner is being flaky. He is saying after a second look that the grapes are too inconsistent to pick now and we should wait a few more days. A few days? @4score and I are going to drive out there to drop off bins and go have a first hand look with the vineyard owner. We'll post some pics. Likely harvest day is Wednesday or Friday.

It is game on, albeit a year later! Dropping bins off Saturday, Viognoir harvest on Sunday. We will do a final brix check on Saturday to make sure, but we should be close to our 24 brix target. @Boatboy24 and @mainshipfred are you doing Vio this year?

There are three people splitting the 2,000 pounds of grapes. We will haul the two macrobins back in our pick-up trucks, pitch fork on a chute into a destemmer. The destemmer will then collect in a 5 gallon bucket, which will go right into the press. The press will then go into another 5 gallon bucket, where the juice will be pumped into containers that people will transport the juice in. Pics to follow.

I'd like to but I'll be out of town few a few days next week and don't haven't asked about the harvest yet. I'll find out tomorrow.

We visited the vineyard and walked the rows. I understand why the vineyard owner stories weren’t making sense. We was saying the brix are at 22 (I confirmed) but if we wait until Friday with 6 straight days of 100 degrees, there wouldn’t be anything left. Why? He has clusters that are at 25 and other fruit that is at 18. The 18 fruit is all second growth. In a week I agree those 25 brix clusters will not be as good as they are today. So, our best choice is to pick sooner rather than later. We will have some sorting to do or decide to include the green fruit. Forgot to take pictures.
its frustrating that we have not found a good source for quality white grapes in our area.

We visited the vineyard and walked the rows. I understand why the vineyard owner stories weren’t making sense. We was saying the brix are at 22 (I confirmed) but if we wait until Friday with 6 straight days of 100 degrees, there wouldn’t be anything left. Why? He has clusters that are at 25 and other fruit that is at 18. The 18 fruit is all second growth. In a week I agree those 25 brix clusters will not be as good as they are today. So, our best choice is to pick sooner rather than later. We will have some sorting to do or decide to include the green fruit. Forgot to take pictures.
its frustrating that we have not found a good source for quality white grapes in our area.

IMG_0580 2.jpeg
I got you covered Norcal. Snapped this one.

Latest posts

Back