Vintners Reilsing wine not clearing help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysfoot

Reaction score
Hi,
I am about to bottle my first batch of Vintners reserve Reilsling wine but its not clear and i have left it a further 7 days to clarify and re-sturred it.
Can anyone advise ?

Hi,
I am about to bottle my first batch of Vintners reserve Reilsling wine but its not clear and i have left it a further 7 days to clarify and re-sturred it.
Can anyone advise ?
Will need a little more information. At what temp was the wine when you degased? Did you degas? Did you add a fining agent or are you letting it clear naturally?
The best way to get help on this forum is to provide as much information as you can, such as temp, starting SG and current or final SG. What actions have you completed, etc.
There are alot of people on this forum who can help with almost any problem you may have if you provide enough info.

LOUMIK

If you followed all the directions in the kit...then chances are, the wine needs further degassing...

The wine needs to be in a warm environment to be degassed properly.....how did u degas? A spoon or whip stir?

Anyway...try moving the carboy to a warmer location in your home....if possible take temp and get the wine to approximate 70 deg.....use a blanket or heating belt....then degass again. If using a spoon....stir the wine hard back and forth. For several minutes......repeat several times or until the co2 dissipates.

Same thing for whip stir....

Hi,
Sorry ive been away from an internet connection for a few days.
Yes i have degased twice since i was supposed to bottle

The temperature of the wine when i first degased would have been about 20c
I have spoken the person at the wine making shop and she said to put in a cool location. i have put it in my shed tonight and the temperature is 14c so i will see what hapens in the next few days
Should i degas in a the cooler location , see if that helps

Actually, wine degases and clears better at a warmer. 74F is a good temp.

Like the others said, your problem is likely CO2 gas. Taste the wine and determine if it has a fizziness to it, that would indicate CO2 is still present.

You really should not try to stir a wine that is waiting to clear.

Well ive been wanting it to clear now for 3 weeks now and im sure the lady at the wine making shop is right when she said to put it in a cool place to clear

Ive found this quote on a wine making blog so i think im going to let it settle in a cool place for a few days to see what happens:

"If your wine has not naturally cleared after three rackings 60 days apart, try putting it in a colder place--not necessarily in the refrigerator. A drop of 10° F. will often cause a wine to begin clarifying, but not if the wine was over-heated to begin with. Wine should generally be fermented at 60-70° F. It is from this range that a 10-degree drop will often produce results. If this does not work after 30 days and you have ruled out pectic and starch hazes,"

Well...

Here's the deal..

What the lady at the wine shop is telling you....will eventually work. Unfortunately, not in the timeframe you are seeking.

Again, if you added the clarifiers in the correct order....and followed the rest of the directions your wine has too much co2 remaining.

If you want it to clear quickly...heed the advice above....otherwise...plan to leave it for 4 to 6 months and it will clear on it's own.

FYI...the quote you reference is for fruit or 100 percent grape wines. You are making a kit wine....food for thought

Making the same kit and its clearing nicely at 72 degrees. Started it Feb 26.

Making the same kit and its clearing nicely at 72 degrees. Started it Feb 26.

Hi,
Its does say though if it not cleared in 1 week to wait another week. i have been waiting for 4 weeks now and its still cloudy, i have degassed twice aswell
I have left it outside for 2 days at 53 degrees then i will bring it up to 72 degress and degass again

Will bet its not degassed enough.. Took awhile to degass mine at 72 degrees..

Will bet its not degassed enough.. Took awhile to degass mine at 72 degrees..

Am i right in thinking that degassing is the process of stirring it with an electric drill to cause bubbles to form.
Shall i do this process untill the bubbles stop foarming.

I also have a plastic carboy not a glass one and when i whip i obviously have to take the top off so air can get in and out. on the glass ones i see that people whip with no air getting in.

Once whipped shall i replace the airlock half filled with water or shall i let it rest with the lid off

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
I have had it back at 72 degrees and degassed again and its still not cleared.
does anyone reccommend to do anything for my next step

It will not clear over night. Takes a week or so after degassing. Make sure the airlock is on!!!
Just let it sit....
Jim S...

Jim, looks like you need to top off your carboy, I am new but think it needs to be up to 2" below the bung

Jim, looks like you need to top off your carboy, I am new but think it needs to be up to 2" below the bung
Getting ready to filter and bottle this week. Its now all clear and calling my name :) Wife stole a sample the other day she is my version of a Wine Thief ;)

tysfoot,
Don't worry so much about air getting into your carboy. Certain steps must be done that require removing the bung.
If you think you have degassed enough you should top-off the carboy to within 1-2 inches of the bung. replace the airlock, cover the carboy with an old towel or shirt, etc. and leave it alone for 1-2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks it should be pretty much cleared. Now you either bottle or put it away to bulk age.
Good Luck, let us know how your doing.

LOUMIK:h

tysfoot,
Don't worry so much about air getting into your carboy. Certain steps must be done that require removing the bung.
If you think you have degassed enough you should top-off the carboy to within 1-2 inches of the bung. replace the airlock, cover the carboy with an old towel or shirt, etc. and leave it alone for 1-2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks it should be pretty much cleared. Now you either bottle or put it away to bulk age.
Good Luck, let us know how your doing.

LOUMIK:h

Hi,
I cant top it to within 2 inches of the bung because i had a little leaky accident out of my tap and ive slowly lost 6 litres a few weeks ago when it was locked in a cupboard :slp

Ive still got 17 litres left, we learn from our mistakes

Do you think this is the reason why its not clearing to well ?
Also when i do a test in the bottle to sample the clearity, when i shake it there is alot of bubble or froth.
Should this froth when its cleared ?

What ive done now is ive vigoursly shaken it in my plastic carboy for 5 mins and kept the top on tight so no air can escape, (it was very frothy) the bung is kept on but like i said previously there is no longer a 2 inch gap, more like a 12 inch gap

Am i doing everything correct as iam so close to finishing this batch and then i can start on my second. its starting to fustrate my now as ive been waiting 4-5 weeks to clear :sl

Hi,
I cant top it to within 2 inches of the bung because i had a little leaky accident out of my tap and ive slowly lost 6 litres a few weeks ago when it was locked in a cupboard :slp

Ive still got 17 litres left, we learn from our mistakes

Do you think this is the reason why its not clearing to well ?
Also when i do a test in the bottle to sample the clearity, when i shake it there is alot of bubble or froth.
Should this froth when its cleared ?

What ive done now is ive vigoursly shaken it in my plastic carboy for 5 mins and kept the top on tight so no air can escape, (it was very frothy) the bung is kept on but like i said previously there is no longer a 2 inch gap, more like a 12 inch gap

Am i doing everything correct as iam so close to finishing this batch and then i can start on my second. its starting to fustrate my now as ive been waiting 4-5 weeks to clear :sl

Tysfoot,
I had a primary that leaked on me once. What a mess. Fortunately I found mine before much had leaked. Have not used that primary since. I suggest that you transfer your wine to a smaller carboy if you have one. Or several one gallon jugs. If you don't have smaller carboys you might try adding marbles that have been sanitized with k-meta to your carboy to take up the excess head space that you currently have.
Any time you shake a liquid in a bottle you will get some bubbles. If you shake your carboy and the wine is forming froth or very tiny bubbles it probably has net been adequately degassed. I would suggest that you continue to degass and replace the air lock so the CO2 can escape, thats the point of degassing.
After you have degassed your wine then do as I suggested earlier and leave the wine alone for a week or two to clear. Good Luck.

LOUMIK:b

Latest posts

Back