Vintners Harvest Strawberry Base Brownish Color?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

Reaction score
I just opened a large can of the vintners harvest strawberry base....have never used this before. The inside smells like strawberries but the are a brownish color. Is that normal for canned strawberries? Should I use them? Thanks in advance.

Whats the date on the can? Old ? Some fruits will appear off color when highly concentrated. You might take a measured sample (Couple of ounces) and dilute it to the recommended amount and check the color.

Whats the date on the can? Old ? Some fruits will appear off color when highly concentrated. You might take a measured sample (Couple of ounces) and dilute it to the recommended amount and check the color.
We have looked all over the can and can't find a date anywhere. I tasted one and it tasted okay, just really soggy.....so went ahead and started it. Figured I'd taste it along the way but so far before the yeast was added, it tasted like sugary strawberries. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

Unfortunately some fruits will not keep the fruit color when made into wine. It can be caused by oxidation but more often than not, it's just the way the natural colors work. Who would have thought that apples (Typically with a white or light yellow color) would turn out as a deep gold wine. Even the red skins contribute nothing substantial to the color of an apple wine.
With one 3 gallon batch of peach wine I added 20 dark red sweet cherries to deepen the color. Clearly in 3 gallons the cherry flavor was not detectable but it did give the wine an ever so slight rosy tone and darken the pale yellow to a more golden hue.

Latest posts

Back