Vintner's Harvest Cherry fruit wine base

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
I just got back from the wine makers store. Got 96 oz cherry fruit base, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, acid blend and four 1 gal bottles.

Going to try to do this by the instructions on the label. Wish me luck.

Brand is "Vintners Harvest"correct? How many gallons are you going to make with that one can? Unless they have drastically changed that concentration - you cannot get more than 2 gallons from a 96oz can unless you add some other juice source. Their idea of a 'full bodied wine' is still a bit light on flavor.

On the plus side you are at least getting 100% Cherry juice in that can with no other fruit juices. (Another similar sounding brand markets fruit wine bases that are mostly apple, grape and pear juices with the labeled juice as a 3rd or 4th in percentage.)

Scooter, I'll stick with the recipe on the side of the can. It is not cherry juice. It is pressed cherries in its own juice. I'll stick with it in confidence. I'm making 3 gallons by the recipe and if it turns out weak, that is fine by me. Next time I can do some thing different. It only has to suit me.

Last edited:
Sounds good their 3 gallon recipe works great, the 5 gallon is way too thin. Numerous folks discussed this problem on all the sites of sellers. I've made 3 gallons with their black current a couple of times and was quite happy with it. Stretch it to 5 and the flavor fades out.

This morning (Nov 12), I checked the SG on this (1.070.). I started with a SG of 1.10. I will wait a few and check again, until it reaches 1.000 or so.
I want no more than 12% alcohol. I have three gallons and I'll add an ounce of flavoring per gallon. What do you recommend to stop all the yeast before addition of Blackberry flavoring?
Should I stop all fermentation and wait a day or so before adding the Blackberry flavor, then rack it into a carboy ?

You didn't say what you planned to use to stop the fermentation. I'm assuming its Potassium Sorbate. Kit manufacturers have you add the Fpac right after the addition of Sorbate so you should be good to do the same with the Blackberry flavoring. Waiting 24 hours the add the flavoring would be an abundance of caution and wouldn't hurt anything so that is the safe bet.

Just yesterday, I was looking at the Vintners Best Fruit bases on Label Peelers musing about making a fruit wine. I'll be following your progress with interest.

This morning (Nov 12), I checked the SG on this (1.070.). I started with a SG of 1.10. I will wait a few and check again, until it reaches 1.000 or so.
I want no more than 12% alcohol. I have three gallons and I'll add an ounce of flavoring per gallon. What do you recommend to stop all the yeast before addition of Blackberry flavoring?
Should I stop all fermentation and wait a day or so before adding the Blackberry flavor, then rack it into a carboy ?

Hate to tell you, but I think you are looking at 14%. There isn't a very practicable way for home winemakers to stop an active fermentation.

Hate to tell you, but I think you are looking at 14%. There isn't a very practicable way for home winemakers to stop an active fermentation.
Can I not use K-Meta and Sorbistat-K? to cease the alcohol production? Potasium Sorbate kills yeast and is used in conjunction with Potasium Metabisufite.

K-meta and Sorbistate-K (Sorbate) are not a guaranteed way to stop and active fermentation. You can try it but afterwards you will need to monitor it frequently to make sure that it doesn't restart. I have an apple cider that I tried to stop at about 1.020 and while it stopped the vigorous fermentation after I added K-Meta and Sorbate, it still has continued some fermentation as evidences by a slowing diminishing sweetness and definite 'fizzy' taste. Since I was looking for a carbonated cider that's not all bad plus I've cold crashed it and kept it chilled since I added the K-Meta and Sorbate. Also I have bottles suitable for the pressure created by a slow fermentation.

I was going to bulk age this 3 gallon batch in the cellar til March . Do you think that it will finish fermentation by then?

I was going to bulk age this 3 gallon batch in the cellar til March . Do you think that it will finish fermentation by then?

Get out your hydrometer. (Sound like a broken record??) Anyway, when the s.g. gets below 1.000 and stays the same for 3 days or more the ferment should be finished. If your temps. are where they belong by march the ferment should be done and clearing well on the way. Good luck with it, Arne.

Can I not use K-Meta and Sorbistat-K? to cease the alcohol production? Potasium Sorbate kills yeast and is used in conjunction with Potasium Metabisufite.
K- Sorbate doesn't kill yeast, it just keeps it from reproducing (keeps a ferment from restarting after the wine has stopped fermenting, and cleared). K-Meta is an antioxidant, which helps keep wine from getting oxidized when bulk aging, or in the bottle.

So I must let the yeast stop fermentation before adding K-sorbate and K-meta.

I tend to wait til the gross lees have fallen and the wine has cleared, at least partly cleared. Then I rack and add k-meta for sure and maybe both. Most of the time I wait til it has been sitting for a few months then add the k-meta and sorbate to stabilize. I also have tags on the carboys I can write on and keep track of what has and has not been done. Arne.

I keep my records in a file for that wine in Word 2016. That way I can keep a running record. I also have the recipe listed in that file step by step so I don't loose the directions. Always read the directions when you are going to do anything. Write it down.
I'm a author of short stories and poems. I've published two books and numerous shorts and poems. So I'm naturally inclined to write it down.

I to the SG this morning and fermentation has stalled at 1.020 , which gives me a 10.50% alcohol by the calculator at Brewers Friend. I was hoping for around 12%. The wine has not cleared as of yet, I racked it down into a clean carboy 3 days ago and the SG hasn't changed.
I can add a little sugar or leave it as is until it clears. It's Okay, just a little lighter than I was hoping for.
What would you do?

Adding sugar isn't going to make it finish out. When you racked it did you leave all the lees? Probably left most of the yeast on the lees. Bet if you give it some oxygen, warm it up to the mid 70;s or so it will take back off. Might be pretty slow, but should finish out. Arne.

I have some Red Star Active dry wine yeast.. I also have yeast nutriment, acid blend, pectic enzyme, a kieselsol / sorbisol packet, and campden tablets. I brought it into my office(75deg.F) and it bubbles a little bubble every once in a while. And yes, I discarded the lees. Most of my mistakes have been in messing with it. I probably need to back off and let nature take its course.

You are catching on. Sometimes less is more. BUT then we all learn as we go. It doesn't need more sugar (SG shows it still has some to convert) Perhaps some yeast but be aware that you would be best off not adding any nutrient right now. Check the pH as well that can contribute to problems as well. Even though CO2 can cause a misleading reading (Read as more acidic than it really is.) if anything the wine should a bit more acidic right now not less. Anything over 3.6 would be a cause for a little concern. In that case add some acid just don't over do it.

Latest posts

Back