Vintners Harvest Blueberry Puree

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkerz

Junior
Reaction score
I just picked up a 3lb 1oz (46oz) can of Vintners Blueberry Puree. I cannot find any recipes online for this. Does this one can make 2.5 gallons?

I just picked up a 3lb 1oz (46oz) can of Vintners Blueberry Puree. I cannot find any recipes online for this. Does this one can make 2.5 gallons?

I looked for a recipe online for this particular purée. It said 49 ounces makes 1 gallon. One gallon is 128 ounces if my math is correct. ... we made a blueberry that was excellent and used 3 gallons of purée plus 2 bags of frozen whole berries that were 4 pounds each. This is was for a 6 gallon batch.
I would think 2.5 gallons would be a stretch for your 46 ounce can. But I am fairly new at wine making.
Will be interested to see what others say
Cheers

I failed on my google-foo. Thank you for that. Seems like it would of made more.

From what I have read, it will take at least 1 year for Blueberry wine to age. Was this the case with your batch?

All of my blueberry wine has been from fresh fruit, not concentrate. However, it has always been pretty good early, never really required aging to come around.

From what I have read, it will take at least 1 year for Blueberry wine to age. Was this the case with your batch?

We started our blueberry September 19,2016. It was still harsh in June 2017. We bulk aged, did bench trials and back-sweetened and bottled in August 2017. We had tasted it in June 2016 and it was still
Harsh. Maybe we use more blueberries than necessary ? And ours didn’t come around as quickly. By October this fall people are lining up for it. The blueberry is very forthcoming. ABV 10%..
We started more blueberry a few weeks ago.
Yeast was 71B-1122 on the 2016.
Used the 1122 this year on one batch and used MT yeast on the second batch. We had really good results with MT on a triple berry and bringing the fruit out.
Cheers!
Brigitte

The purees, if you read the marketing information are really aimed a those folks wishing to add a flavor to another wine variety. While they certainly can be used to make a great fruit wine on their own, the larger 96 oz cans are the ones that will make a 2-3 gallon batch of wine on their own. Your 46 oz can is probably best for making not more than one gallon of wine. Anything more than that amount and you run the risk of ending up with a rather light flavored wine unless you add additional fruit of the same variety or another variety for a blended wine.
I've made one batch of apricot from a 46 oz can and found it pretty light on flavor with a 2 gallon batch. I've also made an excellent 3 gallon batch from one can of the Vintners Harvest Black Currant wine base and can recommend that one especially.

I only use frozen blueberries for my recipe 2lb to a gallon but frozen or pureed a lb is a lb so if my math is correct yes you are short about 2lb. Good luck. You will also need to add some sugar to get your alcohol up.

For a good blueberry wine I would recommend:
1) Somewhere between 5-6 lbs of blueberries per gallon.
2) Carefully check the pH of the wine before you pitch the yeast blueberries tend to be very acidic.
3) Keep your ABV below 14%
4) Plan on back-sweeten to return the flavor that seems to vanish from a dry blueberry wine. You don't have to make it sweet to bring back the flavor but some sweetening is normal with most fruit wines.
5) Plan on at least a year of aging. Less than that you will have drinkable wine but not necessarily an enjoyable wine. There is a big difference.

I raise my own blueberries and I've learned by doing. Aging a blueberry wine or any fruit wine for that matter, makes a huge difference. Next season if the weather cooperates I will probably be doing somewhere around 2-3 3 gallon batches of blueberry wine from our bushes.

Latest posts

Back