Vintners Harvest Blood Orange

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheerfulHeart

Still wineing
Reaction score
Is anyone using this fruit base? Is this just a seasonal item? I am thinking of using this in a batch of Skeeter Pee or Dragon Blood.

Last edited:
I used a can of this in conjunction with the Raspberry Peach Sangria kit, to bump up the body and Abv of that kit that i like as is. Thought blood orange sounded like a good match for the mostly raspberry flavor. Seemed bit harder to clear like this, but additional time and racking did the trick. Just bottled so not peak yet, but think I hit the profile I was after.

@Jericurl

According to search engine Bing, which is where I found out about it, labelpeelers.com and barleynvine.com offer it. Those are the two sites I know about. The blood orange puree base seems to be something added to the product line recently. If I can find an online source that ships to California at a reasonable rate, I am definitely going to try this base. Blood oranges are a favorite flavor profile of mine.

@slurve

Thank you for the heads up about it being harder to clear. I appreciate knowing that. That helps.

I've seen blood orange beer kits, but not wine.
Sounds like it could be a nice a version of skeeter-pee.

Definitely sounds like a great base for Skeeter Pee and Dragon Blood! That was my first thought when I saw it. If the shipping wouldn't break my bank account, I would buy a case. Because with my luck, it will disappear and never be offered again. :)

@Jericurl: I so understand. My list of possibilities is expanding rapidly. I tell myself to remember I currently have only 3 carboys. :h

Blood Orange comes in cans of 49 ounces. I am guessing 1 can will work for a batch of Dragon Blood with 8 pounds of mixed berries. Any thoughts?

Well, I got a can of this awhile back and I'll likely be using it for December's WOTM club.

Can anyone tell me how well it will work for a 3 gallon batch?

Well, I got a can of this awhile back and I'll likely be using it for December's WOTM club.

Can anyone tell me how well it will work for a 3 gallon batch?

I suspect it will work much better in 3 gallons, more flavor and body than a 5 gallon batch. I would think about adding white grape concentrate for even more body...I dislike thin whinny wines!

But...I have never eaten a blood orange and frankly it doesn't even sound good to me.

I was in Az one year at the right time to score some blood oranges, and it made the very best orange wine I ever made. Made others, but had troubles with acid and harshness, not so with the BO!

Realize this is a old thread but I purchased a can and wanting to make a gallon. Can't find much information about making it. Anyone be able to jump in and help a newbie try again?

Latest posts

Back