Other Vintners Harvest apricot transfer at 1.040?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachi44089

Reaction score
A just removed the fruit strainer bag and transfered to my secondary at 1.040 as instructions indicate. It seems to be fermenting waaay to heavy to be in the secondary yet. It foamed up and blew a bit out the air lock... So I took out 1/2 a gallon to make a bit of room. It is bubbling one continuous bubble..lol..Even the half gallon is perking away..Is this normal? I usually dont transfer till 1.010 or under. I am tempted To transfer back into the primary for a bit..

Last edited:
As I always say, I ferment all my wine to dry in primary. Snap the lid down around 1.020 and on goes the airlock.

I must say Ive never seen the Vintners Harvest instructions where theyve said that. Its either fairly new or just for apricot and a few others as Ive done quite a few over the years.

Update.. I made the mistake of following the directions to make a 5 gallon batch with one can. I should have made only 3 gallons.. Its almost clear and I racked it and sampled.. Starting sg at 1.085 ..finished at about .993-.994 ..Waay too thin on flavor and feel.. I know its not done "1 1/2 months" but am wondering what to do to fix this problem before bottling time. It tastes like alcohol with a hint of apricot taste. The smell is actually much better than the taste..lol.. Would an f-pack add the much needed flavor and feel? What about a dose of glycerin? Thanks...

I must say Ive never seen the Vintners Harvest instructions where theyve said that. Its either fairly new or just for apricot and a few others as Ive done quite a few over the years.

My VH elderberry instructions stated the same thing. It left me wondering as everywhere else I read states to wait until around 1.01.

I will never again transfer at 1.040, it made a big mess and the sediment was 3" deep in the primary. I will now ferment to dry in primary. Much easier.

I would suggest using an apricot syrup for your f-pac. it will also sweeten it a little too so make sure u stabilze your wine first. I did this with a peach wine i made and it worked very nice and gave it a nice peach flavor.

Back