Vintner's Best Blueberry concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitehrs

Junior Member - the new guy.. I'm learning, and ex
Reaction score
So, yep. I've been here a year, but I'm still a noob.. I was at the supply store a week or so ago, and thought this concentrate might be good, and I've never done one of these. So, the $31.95 purchase was on. I read the entire instructions. I did it just as the instructions said. Sure enough SG:1.081 (Jug said it should be 1.077. Not sure why it was so specific.) but that is in the ballpark. I bought a 5 gallon PET1 water bottle type carboy, and nearly 5 gallons of water at wally world. I didn't want to use the tap water here. We have an oil rich geography, a refinery, 3 chemical plants, and a waste disposal plant. The water in my little 18k population city is oil rich, and safe to say that if using the water there is probably no reason to sterilize the water.. Jokingly of course. The water doesn't take off, but there is an extraordinarily high cancer rate here.. Anyway, I bought good water. I made it by the instructions, it is slow to start, and smells of rotten eggs, and PBR beer farts. I used red star montrachet yeast one packet. Is in a white 6.5 gallon brew bucket with lid and air lock as it calls for. I tested after 24 hours it was down to SG: 1.073. at 68 Degrees in the house, on the sticker thermometer on the bucket. not sure what could be stressing the yeast. they should be loving their life right now, as far as I can figure. The taste is very good, strong blueberry flavor.
Anyway, everytime the airlock burps, it smells like Dak Prescott's post practice draws...any suggestions, would help keep the wonderful Miss Sherri from kicking me and my wine out.

Taken off product description page:

A strong fermenter with good alcohol tolerance that is useful in producing dry, full bodied red and white wines. Will leave a wine with intense color and excellent flavor complexity while preserving tannin content. This yeast will produce hydrogen sulfide gas in the presence of excess sulfur compounds and therefore should not be used to ferment grapes that contain residual sulfur dust. Temperature range: 59-86 F. Alcohol Tolerance: 13%.

Stir the crap out of it, preferably with a drill attachment, then add some nutrients to it. If it persists after secondary and splash racking, then you can stir it with something copper and it should take care of the rest of it.

No suggestions, the above two are great recommendations.

I do however have one question, how exactly do you know how Dak's post practice draws smell? :)

What type of water did you use? Tap water is actually preferred because it contains minerals that are needed by the yeast and not in distilled water. They may not be in bottled water either. You can leave the water out for a few days to let the chlorine escape, but I don't and I've never had a problem.

Also, in the future, search Danger Dave's Dragon's Blood on here. Follow his i instructions with your ingredients. Ie. Don't seal it up, stir every day etc.

No suggestions, the above two are great recommendations.

I do however have one question, how exactly do you know how Dak's post practice draws smell? :)

I was an athlete in high school, and military. I know how I smelt post Practice. As much as I hate the Dallas Cowboys, And as good QB as Dak has shown to be.... I made an educated guess. lol.

:h

Taken off product description page:

Stir the crap out of it, preferably with a drill attachment, then add some nutrients to it. If it persists after secondary and splash racking, then you can stir it with something copper and it should take care of the rest of it.

Thanks, Jeri. This is as I was thinking. I appreciate you, and others confirmation. I have added a 1/2 tsp of Nutrient, and a 1/2 tsp of Energizer. Stirred the crap out of it day 2, and 3. Started blaming it on my Cat, General Anne E. Catwoody. The smell is diminishing, and and fermentation is chugging along. the taste is very good.

I intend to watch and smell very intently, but plan another nutrient and energizer add about 1/3 fermentation, about 1.050. does that seem like a fair plan?

Lesson learned, Research a better yeast for my Blueberry wine. Nutrient. Also, Stir the crap out of it. Yeast Recommendations from those with experience with Blueberry?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Right now I've got a blueberry mead going and I'm using BM 4x4. So far, so good.
I've been really diligent about figuring out the yeast's nutritional needs and exactly how much nutrients to add at my sugar breaks, etc, since I started making mead and it has made an enormous different in my end product.
I suspect you will see the same.

I did do a blueberry/elderberry/blackberry mead and I believe I used RC 212 for that. It turned out quite nice as well.

I think your yeast choice is fine, you just have to make sure you keep it fed and happy.

Thank you all again. So, I vote RC212 for Berries, and berry mead.. Got it.

Day 8 Sg:1.053. It was bubbling the airlock about 1 time every 3 minutes. I added 3 tsp of nutrient (bottle says 1.0 to 1.5 tsp per gallon) to 5 gallons. I added 2 tsp of energizer ( it say 1/2 tsp per gallon) stirred the crap out of it.. This stuff tastes great.. I taste after I hydrometer. The airlock is bubbling about once every 20 seconds. See how quick it hits 1.020. If it slows I will add about 1/3 dose of nutrient, and energizer.. I expect it to be dry by thursday, it's friday.. The instructions say to mix it, and ferment for 2 weeks. Thursday will be two weeks. I'm thinking it should be dry by then. And no more sulfate smell...

Day 8 Sg:1.053. It was bubbling the airlock about 1 time every 3 minutes. I added 3 tsp of nutrient (bottle says 1.0 to 1.5 tsp per gallon) to 5 gallons. I added 2 tsp of energizer ( it say 1/2 tsp per gallon) stirred the crap out of it.. This stuff tastes great.. I taste after I hydrometer. The airlock is bubbling about once every 20 seconds. See how quick it hits 1.020. If it slows I will add about 1/3 dose of nutrient, and energizer.. I expect it to be dry by thursday, it's friday.. The instructions say to mix it, and ferment for 2 weeks. Thursday will be two weeks. I'm thinking it should be dry by then. And no more sulfate smell...

I just reread your post, didn't see where you did any pH readings. Blueberries are notorious for low pH, which is a yeast stresser. Don't know if the concentrates have the same characteristics, or if they are adjusted during manufacturing, but consider checking it. If your ferment continues to be a little challenging, bumping your temps up into the mid 70's would also help, especially during the last phase as the alcohol increases.

Just needed to consider yeast strain before I pitched for the next batch. Then all I needed was to ensure the batch had nutrients and energizer, to keep the yeast I had chose for this batch. it is chugging away right now. The yeast fart smell is gone, and the SG is dropping. It should be thursday it will be dry. Yesterday day 11 and it is at 1.030. it says in the directions that after 2 weeks it can be moved to a carboy. at the rate it is fermenting, I am guessing it should be dry, or very close by Thursday. The temp is currently 72 degrees.
The Concentrate I believe has it pre-adjusted as it only calls for yeast on the directions. I can taste that is it not acidic, and it does taste fine when I check the SG. Next time I will choose the RC212 as Jericurl suggested.. RC212 yeast are less susceptible to becoming gassy, and farting in my wine..

Day 14: dry 1.000... into the secondary. It is still slowly chugged my away. I bet it goes to 0.990.

Latest posts

Back