Vintners Best added extra sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't, but I wonder if you could make an f-pac out of frozen rhubarb (Walmart shows it on their website, and Amazon has several sources) and add that after primary fermentation is complete. That'd definitely give it a kick of flavor.
Frozen rhubarb sounds like a winner unfortunately not seeing it at any of our local Walmarts. Maybe I should taste the concentrate before I go adding things anyway.

Why add it after the primary fermentation is complete? I really don't have much experience with this sort of thing. I placed the pear halves in a muslin bag and dropped them in when i pitched the yeast and removed it when I racked it. It definitely added a lot of flavor but i expect it will decrease with time.

Why add it after the primary fermentation is complete?
You definitely can add it before, but I was under the impression the question involved a wine that has already been started. Adding another source of sugar while primary is active could change the alcohol content of the final product. Adding a flavor pack after fermentation will kick up the flavor with a smaller amount of fruit.

As I said, I have never made rhubarb with concentrate. I've done several batches with rhubarb I harvested myself locally, and the flavor hasn't been an issue for me.

Back