Vintner’s Harvest fruit base expiration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMc

Reaction score
I may not have searched the correct terms to get my answer so pardon me if this has already been addressed. A friend getting out of winemaking gave me four cans of VH fruit base in 96 oz cans. He thought they were likely 10 years old. None of them have an expiration date. The cans are without leakage, rust and the can ends are not bowed. Can I assume the contents are good if they smell good when opened? I have freeze dried canned food that are good for 25-30 years so I hoped these cans would also be good.
thank you

Ya open a can, sniff, if Ok dip a finger in (Or something Sanitary) and have a taste.
If it passes those tests, I'd go with it. Color is about the only thing other than smell and taste that might be of a slight concern.

Remember that reputable companies are normally very protective - they don't like lawsuits or angry customers so they mark perishable products with "Best By" "Expires On" "Use By" dates that are safe, and that way then should never have a problem. That means there is a built in buffer assuming less than perfect storage conditions. So depending on where those cans were stored you may find great stuff inside. Especially if there are no outward signs like rust or lables falling apart.
In my mother-in-laws basement we have been working on cleaning her food stuffs out over the last 12 years,
(yeah that long cause the house is on the same property as us and it's not occupies)
We find both good and bad items. And we also find stuff that is not appealing looking. Like jams and jellies - Peach preserve that is almost brown - Yeah that goes away. It's in a basement that does get water sometimes but is always cooler than the upstairs by 10-15 degrees with slow temp changes through the seasons. So long long story - I'd sure try those cans out one at a time and be prepared to make some wine.

Thank you both for the replies. I’m definitely going to use them if good.

I’d say the flavor has most likely degraded at least some but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. I take the Best Buy info with a grain of salt. A nose knows, the human nose can detect many but not all spoiled/bad food. The only thing I know of that can live in a sealed can is botulism, it requires an anaerobic environment to live but from what I’ve read heating to a simmer breaks down the toxins. Last fall we got a new pantry cabinet, when I cleaned out the old one I found a can of Campbell’s Cream of Shrimp soup with a June 2006 or 2008 date on it. I heated it up to a gentle simmer and ate it with no adverse reactions. The flavor was however muted a bit.
Edit: to finish post, hit the post button accidentally

Last edited:
Also container type along with contents makes a difference. A very acidic product in an metal can could over time pull substances from the container. Some cans are coated on the inside to prevent this but that still can break down overtime IF the contents degrade the coating. I imagine that the a reliable company will take those conditions into account in figuring their Best By and Use before dates. Sadly, there is zero consistency in standards from state to state and no solid Federal standards. That contributes to the frustration factor.
Today for instance a package of bread from Sam's club (2 loaves to the main package) first loaf no issue. Today 1/2 way through the second loaf a spot of green mold. The rest of the loaf beyond that was fine, just that one piece. Gave some thought to taking it back as it's been less than 1 week but then noticed there is no date mark on the packages. Go figure. Keeping it all since it was a spot less than 1 inch in diameter.
So once again, back to the smell and taste testing.

Last fall we got a new pantry cabinet, when I cleaned out the old one I found a can of Campbell’s Cream of Shrimp soup with a June 2006 or 2008 date on it. I heated it up to a gentle simmer and ate it with no adverse reactions. The flavor was however muted a bit.
Edit: to finish post, hit the post button accidentally

My son had a can of cr of mushroom soup a couple of years past best by date. It was in a tab-open can that opened itself with the most disgusting contents spewing out. We try to avoid those can types for food storage now.

My son had a can of cr of mushroom soup a couple of years past best by date. It was in a tab-open can that opened itself with the most disgusting contents spewing out. We try to avoid those can types for food storage now.
Guess the "Self-Opened" condition would give the condition away. :s

Latest posts

Back