vinters harvest Raspbarry- 3 or 5 gallons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodah

Junior
Reaction score
what do you guys think, this is my first vinters harvest wine, not sure if I should go the three gallon or five gallon route. I have montrache, 1116, and 1118 to try out on it. Bump up the SG with sugar if I was to do a five gallon I think.

If you bump up the sg for a 5 gallon, you will have a very weak flavor of wine with a high alcohol taste. Make a 3 gallon and have the sg around 1.080. The alcohol will be around 10% and the flavor will be great.

I would never use a vinters harvest for a 5 gallon unless I was blending it with another fruit.

I have done both and can tell you that the 5 gallon is pretty weak and that batch went into a stainless steel tank with a long column sticking out of it!

3 G or buy 2 and do a 6....itll have more flavor and body, i think when do the higer volume it just thins it out way to much! ive got the vinters harvest blackberry going right now, did it in a 3 ...

Now I must disagree. I thought afterwards that I should have done a 3 gallon Plum rather than the 5. But I already started it and feared the whole time it would be weak. It's not weak at all. I did sweeten 3 gallons to 1.018 and 2 gallons semi dry. I used the Lalvin 1118 yeast.

I have never made the plum but I have made the Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, Black Currant, Cranberry, Marionberry, Cherry, and the Peach is in the carboy since last fall and that is one is even nthin at 2 cans to a 6 gallon batch. the only one in my opinion thus far that I would consider doung a 5 gallon batch wit one can is the Black Currant as its a very strong flavored fruit and I also think its their best canned base.

Thanks guys, ended up doing the 3 gallon batch, checked my SG and it was 1.010 so decided to dilute with water to 1.09..... looks a little closer to four gallons now, but thats fine by me. I will just put the extra in a one gallon and use for topping up and do the rest in the three gallon. I was almost going to use apple juice instead of water.... next time that sounds like a great idea.

Latest posts

Back