Vinter's Harvest Elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this in the past? I was at the brew store and picked up a can of it yesterday. I was going to start this tomorrow. I just need to see if I want to make the 3 or the 5 gallon recipe. I know the 3 will give me a fuller body wine. Any recommendations for additions to this (raisins for body etc). Any recommendation on Lavin yeast?

Thanks

Last edited:
I havent tried that one but have made a lot of the others and making it to the 3 gallon recipe always works best and they are very good products, especially the Black Currant!

Use 71b 1122, that's what I use on my Elderberry and it seems to really bring out the flavor.

Oh Doug, I see you are desparate for Elderberry when you have to go out and buy it in a can. :(

I'm going to have to help you find some elderberries this summer.

Use 71b 1122, that's what I use on my Elderberry and it seems to really bring out the flavor.

Oh Doug, I see you are desparate for Elderberry when you have to go out and buy it in a can. :(

I'm going to have to help you find some elderberries this summer.

You find them I'll gladly come spend the day picking them with you...

You find them I'll gladly come spend the day picking them with you...

Oh I have them, in my backyard, all over the school property, at camp. The problem is getting them before the birds do! :sh You don't realize how many birds are out there until you want something they want. :slp

I know they are usually ripe around August correct? At this point its been so long since I've seen an elderberry bush I may not recognize it. I'll have to check out this area also to see if there are any hiding anywhere.

I will let you know when they start to bloom and yes they are ripe around August.

I think they are very good products also. I make in 5 gallons but use apple juice instead of water, assuming you like the apple conbinations. I have 5 gallons of Vintner's Apricot with Apple juice, also 5 gallons of Vintner's Plum with Apple Juice. The apricot is only a month old but tastes pretty good. I just started the Plum. If you use the apple juice, you will use less sugar. For the plum the recipe calls for 12 lbs, I added 10 lbs and my SG was was at 1.10, I prefer to be closer to 1.090. So just add sugar in small amounts and check you SG.

You wont need anymore body with the Elderberry or Black Currant but the others could use the raisins or tannin or even a Grape concetrate like this product linked below, this is what this product is designed for. There is both a white and a red cause you wont want to use a red concentrate in say like a strawberry or something like that, it wont add any flavor at 1 bottle to 3 gallo recipe.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdASC.asp

I started this and used this approach. I figured based on both the 3 and 5 gallon recipes yhey were using about 2.3 lbs per gallon. I made a simply syrup with 8 1/2 lbs sugar figuring on making a 4 gallon batch so I had extra to top up with (split between the 3 and 5 recipe also). I did add 1 1/2 lb of raisins since I had them. After mixing everything my sg was 1.15 almost 1.2. Figuring that was to high I ended up taking to 5 gallons and it's still at 1.1. It smells superb.

We'll see how it taste when it's done.

Im assumong you mean almost 1.16 not 1.2 cause I dont think there is even a hydrometer out there that goes that hogh, Elderberry, Black Currant and Blueberry are a few fruits that can hide a high abv and be made into a Port type wine so that will be fine, it just may need some more aging time to rid itself of the hotness.

I've noticed at my local mom and pop's they have Vinter's Harvest juice too. From what I'm reading in these posts that it's worth the $62.00 it would take for two cans to make a really good 6 gallon batch?
They have elderberry, strawberry, blackberry and I believe blueberry.

Ive never tried the Strawberry either buttye other 3 yes, if you cant get these fruits or if fresh is way more $ like around me for the most part.

Your're correct. It was originally the high end of the hydrometer. I brought it down to 1.1 by taking the total contents to 5 gallons. Based on what you are saying it should be okay and hopefully by addingf the raisins it will not be too thin in body.

Well I have to say the aroma eminating from the elderberry wine so far is delightful.

:db :db :db :db The elderberries are starting to get a little green so blossoms should be coming out in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know.

I need to figure out what these look like again and start looking in my neck of the woods. I'm sure they are around here also. Keep me posted. I'll come pick with you for the day.

Latest posts

Back