Vinter's Harvest Elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to figure out what these look like again and start looking in my neck of the woods. I'm sure they are around here also. Keep me posted. I'll come pick with you for the day.

I'll post a pic of the blossoms, there is another plant that looks very similar to elderberry but the berries are bigger and the birds won't touch them. So if the birds won't touch them neither will I. I'll post a pic of that as well so you will be able to see the difference.

I'll post a pic of the blossoms, there is another plant that looks very similar to elderberry but the berries are bigger and the birds won't touch them. So if the birds won't touch them neither will I. I'll post a pic of that as well so you will be able to see the difference.

I'd appreciate it. I have an idea I know what they are and once I see the picture I'll know for sure. I told my wife we needed to go for a walk down near the creek line and look to see what we can find. I know there are raspberry bushes and other berry bushes there.

I'd appreciate it. I have an idea I know what they are and once I see the picture I'll know for sure. I told my wife we needed to go for a walk down near the creek line and look to see what we can find. I know there are raspberry bushes and other berry bushes there.

You have a pretty good chance of finding them along the creek line, they like being close to a water source.

okay, I looked at the hydrometer just now when I checked the elderberry. Original reading when must was at 4 gallons was 1.124 after adding gallon of water and taking to gallons starting sg was at 1.1. Checked it just now and reading was 1.014. Sg has dropped considerable since Saturday but temps in the house have been warmer due to the nice weather and no AC on. Looks like I'll be transferring to carboy on Thursday when I work from home.

I have been stirring 2x daily and squeezing the raisins in the bag at the same time to extract as much raisin as I can.

My Vintner's Plum that I made last year I used the 5 gallon recipe and as an after thought I thought it would be weak. It's not and is extremely good. I sweetened to 1.018

I gave a bottle to my neighbor who had taught me how to make win was really impressed how good it was from a can.

I have a blueberry naturally clearing now that I made as a 3 gallon. I took 8 ounces of the juice in the beginning before adding anything and froze it. I'll add that when it's all done.

My Vintner's Plum that I made last year I used the 5 gallon recipe and as an after thought I thought it would be weak. It's not and is extremely good. I sweetened to 1.018

I gave a bottle to my neighbor who had taught me how to make win was really impressed how good it was from a can.

I have a blueberry naturally clearing now that I made as a 3 gallon. I took 8 ounces of the juice in the beginning before adding anything and froze it. I'll add that when it's all done.

Didn't even think about keeping some of the juice as an fpac. It still seems to have good flavor right now. I think a little back sweetening when complete will do nicely.

Didn't even think about keeping some of the juice as an fpac. It still seems to have good flavor right now. I think a little back sweetening when complete will do nicely.

it sounds like you should be fine. let the wine sit, this one gets much better with age, IMO. we've had some sit for 3 years and it was better than it was at 2. still have a few bottles too.

Ha Ha I thought you were writing "Don't even think about giving it away, save it for you." It will be awhile before I add anything. It's clearing slowly. All good things come to those who wait.

Ha Ha I thought you were writing "Don't even think about giving it away, save it for you." It will be awhile before I add anything. It's clearing slowly. All good things come to those who wait.

I put this in my 5 gallon carboy. It looks like depending on how many buckets of juice I get, I'll be investing in carboys. I only have 1 5 gallon left now.

fferment, you did add sulfites and sorbate efore adding that applejuice right?

I don't think it is done fermenting, Wade, should he have added it now or wait unitl it is done fermenting? I believe he just racked from primary to secondary.

You dont top up while its still fermenting as its producing C02 so theres no need and adding anything with sugar in it will just make it start fermenting agin if its done or keep fermenting if its not done. Thats why we se the sorbate and sulfite, to keep it stopped once it has stopped.

I realize the added juice will ferment off, figured I would top it up a bit since it was still fermenting so that I didn't have to top up so much later. After first racking will likely end up transferring to smaller containers to avoid having to top off.

Latest posts

Back