WineXpert Vintage Reserve Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a "Wine Expert Vintner's Reserve Merlot" kit that I plan on starting within next month. I am considering adding Alexander's Merlot Concentrate to kit, however; I am concerned whether I should I add it to the kit or ferment it separately and blend later. Has anyone added Alexanders to a kit? I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

BK

I have a "Wine Expert Vintner's Reserve Merlot" kit that I plan on starting within next month. I am considering adding Alexander's Merlot Concentrate to kit, however; I am concerned whether I should I add it to the kit or ferment it separately and blend later. Has anyone added Alexanders to a kit? I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

BK
What are you expecting to get from adding the Alexander's to the VR kit?

BTW, I think that you should have started an appropriately titled thread rather than adding on to this FOUR YEAR OLD thread.

Steve

Thanks

BK

I agree this post warranted its own new post. However, to answer your question, I have never added Alexanders concentrate to a kit wine. Being the tinkerer that I am though I would go for it. The Vintner's Reserve kits produce a wine often considered lacking in body and lower in gravity. I added Zante currants and some tannin to a VR red and was happy with the results. I would consider adding the concentrate in place of currants in the future. The 49oz Alexanders concentrates clock in at 68 brix (I believe) so, if my math is correct, ought to add around 4.34 brix or 17 pts to your starting SG. I would add the concentrate then dilute your must to about 1.096 or so and if you end up with slightly more than 6 gallons, that'll just cover topping up later.

Back