WineXpert Vintage Reserve - Merlot Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikev63

Junior
Reaction score
How long can I age this wine? I been reading that you can only age Vintage Reserve wines up to 6 months. Is this true? if so why?

Mike

VR is a basic kit. It will not get that much better like a more high end kit. VR is there for those cant wait the long aging before bottling.
When did you start it and where are you now in the process?

I just started my second fermentation.

I was just trying to find out how long can this wine age in bottles?

In bottles you can keep it for years (if you can stop drinking).
It will get a little better w/ age but not that much. Drink it and enjoy while the next kit ages

First, you said "Vintage Reserve". Presumably you mean the Winexpert Vintners Reserve brand.

According to the Winexpert brochure, the VR reds minimum aging 2 months, maximum 1 year. VR whites minimum 1 month, maximum 1 years.

I have to wonder if adding the extra K-meta pre-bottling would extend that maximum.

Steve

Yes. Winexpert Vintage Reserve - Merlot.

I plan on adding the kmeta, but was wondering how long could these bottles age.

I could not find anything on there web site.

Mike

with a proper closure they *can* age as long as any other wine under the same conditions.
they may not improve as noticeably as richer wines which take years to come into their own, but even for a patient person, they will all be drunk before they have a chance to go bad. it really has more to do with your cellaring conditions, attention to sanitation detail and how seriously you take your corks than the wine itself. IMHO anyway.

Hi I'm a newbie. What do those maximum aging times on the WE kits mean really? Are they saying drink the wine within that time because it's about to go bad, or are they just saying there is no point is aging beyond that time so after 6 months drink away?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back