Vinometers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
I never see this tool mentioned and I'm wondering if anyone has found it useful? Some of my food fermenting friends have asked me if it would tell them the ABV of their kombucha of kefir before giving it to their kids. Thanks

I have never tried using a vinometer but I have heard that the are notoriously inaccurate. If one was trying to does a child, I would not recommend a vinometer based on what I have heard and read.

There is a lot of mention of them both on this forum and others. It all comes down to just how bad they are. Try one for yourself and compare it using a wine of known ABV. Just put vinometer in the search box on this forum and you get a LOT of posts listed.

Vinometers are not worth the carboard box they come in.

By far, the most accurate method for determining ABV is by using an Ebulliometer, but they can run you $200 and up (way up).

The best (affordable) way to determine ABV is by using a hydrometer before you pitch your yeast and after fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back