Vinmetrica SC-300 Wine Analyzer Pro Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbeck

Reaction score
I'm currently a home wine maker but will be opening a winery in the next two years.

I'm thinking that its important to know the free SO2 levels of your wine so that you know it will age properly and not get spoiled by bacteria. Also, we need to know an accurate PH to determine when to harvest our grapes. I'm hestitant to spend $500 but am considering the Vinmetrica SC-300 Wine Analyzer Pro Kit

I'm not sure how necessary it is right now and if I can't add metabisulphite and sorbate based on quantity of wine and timeframe rather than measuring with a meter and thus avoid buying an expensive meter right now.

I'd like to hear opinions and especially if you have suggestions for this meter or another meter that we should consider.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the reply! It does seem to be a good unit from what I've been able to tell. How long have you had yours?

I have had the sc300 std model for just a year now. Became very comfortable with it quickly. It gives piece of mind knowing ur so2 levels, and knowing & then adjusting, ph & TA has allowed us to make better wine. We make about 400-500 bottles a year. Roy

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the reply! It does seem to be a good unit from what I've been able to tell. How long have you had yours?

I've had the 100 since the day they came out at home. I use the 300 as a backup and during harvest commercially. That should say something right there.

Concur. Dr sportsman gives great support and upgraded my software. Just got to keep the records.
Ric
WTFFF

I bought one a year ago and like it. The "kit/package deal" only had one flaw. The equipment, particularly the buret holder was junk (did not line up, held the buret at an angle which made reading hard if not inaccurate). Nothing lined up as shown and I ended up buying another and making one part so everything lined up with the stirrer and was perfectly vertical. I also found that a thin "O" ring under the beaker kept it from sliding around and did not affect the magnetic stirring system.

If you are a home wine maker now, what makes you think you "need" to buy one now?

I'm guessing you will need one when you go commercial. That doesn't mean you "need" to buy one now. It will definitely be useful now, but not necessary.

Are you shifting from kits to fresh juice in 55 gallon barrels for"home"?

With kits and adjusted juice, I can't see the need. But, if you are doing barrels from grapes, there is enough variability that I would want to know where I'm at with a meter.

Latest posts

Back