Vinmetrica SC-100 vs SC-300

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to use this tomorrow for the first time. Feeling like I'm 8 again with my first chemistry kit. A little intimidated as well. Think I got everything I need. Have a few various size beakers as well, not in photo.

View attachment 52856

Well how did it go? I can't imagine you used the 1000 ml flask.

Calibrated the SC-300 for pH and then tested pH on 3 wines. zin 3.49, carmenere/malbec 3.75 and Pinotage 4.09.

It calibrated pretty much on the money. TA and SO tomorrow. Small steps.

Going to use this tomorrow for the first time. Feeling like I'm 8 again with my first chemistry kit. A little intimidated as well. Think I got everything I need. Have a few various size beakers as well, not in photo.

View attachment 52856
Now that is what a magnetic stirrer should look like. Very nice.

I haven't done the total So2 yet but just from laziness. I think the magnetis stirrer is a must. I don't have the 25 ml burette so I don't know how it's calibrated. I use the 10 because it's easy to read to .05. The vail from Vinmetrica is nice because it has 5-25ml calibrations. so any stirrer that works with that is fine.
Magnetic: Much of the magic of the vinmetrica is the beep which lets one mix and not watch the meter. In chem lab they trained us to manipulate without using the magnetic stirrer so it isn't hard for me.
Burette: My preference in running samples is to weigh the juice using a two place accuracy balance. The original decision was if I am running 10 samples it is easier to use 10 plastic disposable droppers than to clean out the 1 syringe they provide. , , , A side benefit is that I can weigh the finished beaker with titrant,, again to 0.01 gm accuracy.
The vinmetrica is a sweet toy and a lot easier/ faster than the wet chemistry method. The SO2 function is measuring nanoamps. I do not know of another inexpensive tool which can do this.

I have had access to a variety of pH meters since the 70s. The cheap ones work as well as the lab grade and I didn't feel bad if a technician killed a probe by running a viscous goop or grinding it into glass shards. For home use I have an extech, the decision point on it was the glass pH probe is flat so I can get a reading with a few drops of juice/ wine. Any pH meter can give the TA end point (8.2/ where phenolthalein changes color). YES the beep is the only thing special about the TA function.

DO: I have had access to lab grade dissolved oxygen BUT NOT the vinmetrica DO. It was a pain to calibrate DO with deoxigenated water and maintain the membrane on the lab grade probe. If I was commercial with 10,000 gallon tanks of wine I would want to know the number (related shelf life), , , , but I work with carboys so my technique "error" from splashing versus submerging a racking cane versus transferring under vacuum seems greater than the value of the number.

Last edited:
The major problem I have seen on the Vinmetrica SC100 is that the SO2 probe did not connect consistently. It has a stereo speaker plug (RCA jack) which I would expect better from. I wonder if gold plated would fix it?

All in all the Vinmetrica testing is easy. Don't be afraid. You will probably spend more time cleaning when finished than running tests. Do you have distilled water? A wash bottle helps.

The major problem I have seen on the Vinmetrica SC100 is that the SO2 probe did not connect consistently. It has a stereo speaker plug (RCA jack) which I would expect better from. I wonder if gold plated would fix it?

I don't have one, so not speaking from experience. But the photo on their website shows a BNC connector. Is this not actually true?

As far as I am concerned, BNC is the gold standard for connectors.

SC-100.jpg

Another thing I look forward to with the SC 300 is the ability to test for YAN levels. I’m actually surprised I have yet to hear about anyone utilizing this aspect since it’s so cheap.
If I’m dropping a nut on the sc300 pro with all the bells and whistles then it’s an easy decision to also tack on the YAN kit for just another $30. Then no more one-size-fits-all nutrient additions!
I already do a Post crush test panel
temp, Ph, TA, °Brix, and so2 (titrets), so what’s one more test?
Over the top? Maybe. But YAN and more precise so2/TA will give me a lot more confidence in my winemaking decisions.

I don't have one, so not speaking from experience. But the photo on their website shows a BNC connector. Is this not actually true?

As far as I am concerned, BNC is the gold standard for connectors.

SC-100.jpg
They had a problem with folks putting the wrong probe on the connector in the early model. A few years back they switched to 2 different connectors so it would be child prufed . This is the pH probe. The SO2 probe has 2 wires like an ORP probe.

Does anyone have experience with the SC-55 MLF Analyzer?

I'm pulling the trigger today on the SC-300 Pro, based on all of the positive reviews here and am contemplating whether or not to get the MLF analyzer as well...

Latest posts

Back