Vinmetrica SC-100 vs SC-300

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Accurately testing S02 = big winemaking advantage. It seems like the only legit tool for this is the VinMetrica. And every owner seems to speak highly of it. I’m sold on the so2 vinmetrica.
What I can’t figure out is what makes it so special for pH and TA. It seems no different than any other pH meter—still using the same method to figure TA (before researching I thought this thing had a unique probe and meter that actually spit out a TA # for you)
1. So Is it just the convenience of So2 and pH one tool? Or is the ph probe a higher quality grade when compared to meter/probes at ~$200? (The $ difference from sc-100 to sc-300)
2. Also, is a beep at 8.2ph the only thing deeming it a ‘TA analyzer’? If so isn’t that kind of a stretch? Some NaOH can turn any meter into a “TA analyzer”.
The big accessory kit I admit looks badass-the stand, stirrer, burette and probe holders.- and able to be used with any probe.
So what’s the better option? The sc-100 and a separate benchtop meter or the sc-300?
The meter itself just seems a little antiquated to me, and I get the feeling $200 can get you a higher quality more modern ph tool.

I have the 100. Bought it used for a good deal and never looked back. I also have a pH meter that I trust. So, while I think it'd be great to have the 300, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. Mine came with the stand, magnetic stirrer, burette, etc. and I think those are totally worth it. I'm sure there is some price that could be put on the convenience of a single tool, but unless you don't already have a pH meter, I'm not sure the price of the 300 is worth it.

Accurately testing S02 = big winemaking advantage. It seems like the only legit tool for this is the VinMetrica. And every owner seems to speak highly of it. I’m sold on the so2 vinmetrica.
What I can’t figure out is what makes it so special for pH and TA. It seems no different than any other pH meter—still using the same method to figure TA (before researching I thought this thing had a unique probe and meter that actually spit out a TA # for you)
1. So Is it just the convenience of So2 and pH one tool? Or is the ph probe a higher quality grade when compared to meter/probes at ~$200? (The $ difference from sc-100 to sc-300)
2. Also, is a beep at 8.2ph the only thing deeming it a ‘TA analyzer’? If so isn’t that kind of a stretch? Some NaOH can turn any meter into a “TA analyzer”.
The big accessory kit I admit looks badass-the stand, stirrer, burette and probe holders.- and able to be used with any probe.
So what’s the better option? The sc-100 and a separate benchtop meter or the sc-300?
The meter itself just seems a little antiquated to me, and I get the feeling $200 can get you a higher quality more modern ph tool.

Personally, I have the pro kit with the bells and whistles and love it. When doing TA, the stand holds the pH probe while the stirrer keeps it mixed, the beep is immaterial. I’m not good enough to hold the probe, stir, and add NsOH while watching the meter. The calibrated burettes are made just for the purpose. I feel like my accuracy with the system is enhanced, and that’s important to me and the winemaking decisions I render based on the results.
After seeing the challenges some folks have with trying to store their meters in storage solution, I appreciate mine even more.

Biased? Probably....but that’s my opinion....it’s made for winemakers and does everything I need. Can you put together a combo to do the same thing? I’m certain that you can. I was lucky, my first purchase was the 300 Pro kit and it’s worked flawlessly for years.

Some really great feedback. Already helpful.
Like I said, I’m already sold on the sc100 and accessory kit. After watching a few videos it looked like a no brainer and would make life so much easier. And both of you confirm what I thought about the accessories- they are badass! Lol.
But my ph situation needs improving. I like my meter, but it was a rushed purchase only reading one decimal point. The Ph-55. So I’m upgrading one way or the other.
With so many new fancy meters on the market (wireless with a phone app I even saw) I thought there may have been strong opinions about ph function of the VM in comparison.
The ph meter getting the seal of approval from Mr. Ph is a back cover kind of endorsement!

If you're in the market for a pH meter as well, I'd strongly consider the 300. Although I've heard pretty positive things about the pH-55.

The ph-55 has been solid for me. The one decimal point gets the job done. But when doing some acid work 2 decimals will be much more ideal.
The other thing is with the probes. I know they don’t last forever and I’m not sure how easily replaceable the probe in my current meter is.
I’ll be building myself a new wine room very soon and was planning to upgrade to a benchtop meter like the MW – 102. Rather than play games and mix-and-match for the best value it looks like I can’t go wrong with the SC – 300

As far as ph goes I have a cheap digital probe and occasionally compare it to the 300 and they are for the most part close. The reason I got the 300 was I have a really hard time knowing when the color stops changing using less expensive titration kits. The 10 ml burette measures in .05 ml and very accurate. If i'm using mine correctly the beeps you are referring to may go off but depending on how slowly you add the reagent makes a difference. If you add it too fast you will get the initial beeps but if you let the stirrer do it's thing the readings will go back down. then you just add drop by drop until you get the proper reading. Oh and not mention the Pro set up is BAD ASS. I think I'll buy a white lab coat for when I use it.

Reading through the 300's manual for the second time. Trying to get my head around everything before I plunge. I have both a 25ml and 10ml burett. Stand also. But don't have a magnetic stirrer yet. I'm seeing them range from $29 to 200. Any reason not to get the cheap one? Is everyone with a Vinmetrica using a magnetic stirrer?

Should I bother with sodium hydroxide solution for total SO2?

Reading through the 300's manual for the second time. Trying to get my head around everything before I plunge. I have both a 25ml and 10ml burett. Stand also. But don't have a magnetic stirrer yet. I'm seeing them range from $29 to 200. Any reason not to get the cheap one? Is everyone with a Vinmetrica using a magnetic stirrer?

I haven't done the total So2 yet but just from laziness. I think the magnetis stirrer is a must. I don't have the 25 ml burette so I don't know how it's calibrated. I use the 10 because it's easy to read to .05. The vail from Vinmetrica is nice because it has 5-25ml calibrations. so any stirrer that works with that is fine.

I got the cheapest magnetic stirrer. It works fine but you get a 20ml+ plastic “beaker” that fits into the plastic molding of the stirrer. You can’t put a larger beaker on it because it will not sit flat on the surface. Wasn’t like the ones I had back in the chem lab days.

I got the cheapest magnetic stirrer. It works fine but you get a 20ml+ plastic “beaker” that fits into the plastic molding of the stirrer. You can’t put a larger beaker on it because it will not sit flat on the surface. Wasn’t like the ones I had back in the chem lab days.

I have the magnetic stirrer that came with the SC 300 Pro kit and absolutely love it. Keeping things stirred during a titration with it frees up one hand to perform other operations. The one I got also works great with the plastic measuring cup I keep in the lab area of the wine room, frequently use it when topping up barrels. Just put the powdered meta into the cup, add some wine, drop the bean in and turn on the stirrer, it mixes completely while I clean up the last barrel and is ready to get dumped into the next. I also use it when mixing up my MLF cocktail to apply to fermenting wine, works like a charm there too. Highly recommend a magnetic stirrer.

I played with my DO analyzer today on a 50/50 Zin/Syrah blend. It's something I wasn't crazy about but @Boatboy24 Jim recommended I give it some oak. Anyway it was one of my earlier wines that I was afaid I racked and splashed racked too may times. The starting DO reading was 17%. Did a quick sparging with argon and brought it down to 13%. Never timed it but sparged again for ~15 minutes and now it's at 2.4%. Once the oak cubes do their job it will be time to bottle whether it's good or bad. The Syrah is spring 2017 and Zin is fall 2017. Also really enjoying the argon set up.

Latest posts

Back