Vinmetrica Newb question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanksHill

Reaction score
I picked up a new-to-me Vinmetrica Pro Kit that came with several burettes - and I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but - what exactly are they used for vs. the pipettes? All the videos Vinmetrica has show testing manually without the stand etc. There's one video that shows the setup of the stand with the burette but not its operation. The instructions also mention how to set it up, clean the burettes etc but then only gives instruction for the basic manual kit. Is it simply to get a more accurate measure of wine and titrant to then release into the cup?

The pro kits makes everything so much easier. I personally prefer the 10 ml burette to the 25 simply because you can get a more accurate reading. I assume you have the magnetic stirrer hopefully with the 50 ml clear vial. If you do just add your wine and reactants, put it on the stirrer with the probe in it and open the valve of the burette slowly or a few drops at a time until you get the 15 or so beeps. Again the burette stand and stirrer just makes things so much easier. As far as cleaning I just open the valve, fill it to the top and let it drain. Then close the valve, fill it and your good to go. I put a golf tee on the top to help prevent evaporation.

I hope that was what you were asking.

The pro kits makes everything so much easier. I personally prefer the 10 ml burette to the 25 simply because you can get a more accurate reading. I assume you have the magnetic stirrer hopefully with the 50 ml clear vial. If you do just add your wine and reactants, put it on the stirrer with the probe in it and open the valve of the burette slowly or a few drops at a time until you get the 15 or so beeps. Again the burette stand and stirrer just makes things so much easier. As far as cleaning I just open the valve, fill it to the top and let it drain. Then close the valve, fill it and your good to go. I put a golf tee on the top to help prevent evaporation.

I hope that was what you were asking.

I think I’m following and yes I have that stuff. So does only the wine/distilled water go in the small beaker and only the Titrant in the burette to accurately/slowly meter out the drops I assume.

I don't test for TA and can't remember the procedure so this could be what you are referring to when you say "wine/distilled water". Otherwise, for SO2 just fill the vial to the 25 ml mark and add the reactants. One trick I found was to put a sharpie mark on the vial at 25 ml for SO2 and 5 and 20 for TA.

I think I’m following and yes I have that stuff. So does only the wine/distilled water go in the small beaker and only the Titrant in the burette to accurately/slowly meter out the drops I assume.
Yes that's correct. Check our support tab at vinmetrica.com; contact us 760-494-0597, or [email protected] if you need help.
-Rich from Vinmetrica

Back