Vineyard From the Beginning- Grapeman

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The acreage was farmed for many years, so it is considered 'nutrient challenged'. It is clay rich, but the section I'll use has been amended and sub soiled several times. I'll check it again before spring and amend accordingly before planting, but the soil has a clay component and should be considered 'heavy, but humus rich'. Drainage is ok, but due to the clay, has a lot of water retention.

For clay I would do 101-14mgt because it's a clay rootstock. Or 3309.

You might be able to get away with 1103 Paulsen as well as its widely adaptable and less suceptible to issues from too much or too little water. Since waterlogging will be a issue for 3309.

Last edited:
Grape man I haven't seen any updates in quite a while....since last year actually.....hows it going? Hows it looking?

Not to be rude......but ....Folks this was a great forum topic, it be real nice if we could hold our squirrel chases in a different post......it disrupted the progression of the story....

I want to start a small vineyard in Bergen County, NJ probably start with an acre or two and I'm looking for a consultant to help me out. For compensation of course. Any recommendations.

For clay I would do 101-14mgt because it's a clay rootstock. Or 3309.

You might be able to get away with 1103 Paulsen as well as its widely adaptable and less suceptible to issues from too much or too little water. Since waterlogging will be a issue for 3309.
Soil sample and a perp test for drainage first amend the soil will take about a year to complete

You might be able to get away with 1103 Paulsen as well as its widely adaptable and less suceptible to issues from too much or too little water.

Must say I'm glad to read this. Just planted some vines on Paulsen into reasonably clay-heavy soil next to a lake, so they'll find the water pretty damn quickly I'm assuming.

I am so excited to have found this thread!!! My vines are due to be delivered the first week of April and I have been preparing since last summer. I can't wait to read more! Thanks so much and if possible, I may ask a question or two as I go along!! So EXCITED!

I am beginning a new thread to sort of document planting a new vineyard from beginning forward. The methods I use here are not standard issue, but are using methods I have gleaned from my 45 years of farming, ag college and working in research trials, including my own. Don't expect it to begin all inclusive, but it will build upon itself as time goes on.
How many decades have you been doing this ( apple man) .

Latest posts

Back