Vineyard From the Beginning- Grapeman

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect to get my soil test results back soon. I will also be tilling up the field to plant the vines in. I will make any needed fertility adjustments at that time, but I really don't expect to need any. The field is considered Prime farmland around here as rated. I will be using glyphosate to kill the perennial weeds and grasses, tilling it and reseeding the alleys after planting the vines. Soon you will be seeing pictures of that. Gosh this post moves almost as slow as paint drying- Oh wait! That's faster.:)

It is time for the weekly vine update. They continue to grow but a bit slowly with cooler weather and a few freezing nights. For a size reference the circle plugs are 2.5 inches across. Most of the cuttings now have some growth. A couple varieties are a bit behind in the corners of the little greenhouse, but should catch up.

LeonMillot.jpg

LeonMillot2.jpg

Marquette.jpg

LaCrescent.jpg

Last edited:
Another hicup in the little greenhouse. We have had three days now of intense sunshine. The first day it was very cool in the morning and a bit overcast so I left the door shut and was to open it at noon. I forgot and did not discover my mistake until almost 5PM. It probably got to 130 degrees in there. You can imagine newly rooted cuttings did not like that temperature. I am sure a few of them might not make it, but overall they don't look too bad- just some crispy leaves here and there. I have been watching it like a hawk since then.

I sprayed the 4 acre field this AM with grass killer. I will let that set now for a week to ten days and then plow it and work it up. Man, what a view from there on top of the hill. It slopes off to the south and east and has views of the Green Mountains of Vermont in the distance. It is going to look great from a semi-major state highway sloping up the hill. I could run the rows either direction, but I am planting up and down the hill for visual effect. After I work the field up I will post a picture of it.

When planning a vineyard, take the views to and from it into account. My original vineyard is hidden from view in the pine trees on a back road hence the name Hid-In-Pines Vineyard. Nobody knows it is there and it is hard to get them to come. Put a vineyard where it shows up and you will get more interest and visitors. I know a couple vineyards put in after mine that stand out on a major road and everybody asks me if I know those people. If they can see it, they will ask about it.

Last edited:
So thats your trick to harden them off, I see.

Could I offer the suggestion of a solar powered thermo controlled attic fan.

Great thread :> We're in Northern Lower Michigan and are in our second year of planting. We put in 800 last year. 200 each of Kay Gray, Marquette, Valiant and Elvira. This spring we put in 200 each of Frontenac, Frontenac Gris, Brianna and Louise Swenson. I've got about 250 cuttings rooting from this spring's pruning of last year's vines. Next year we're planning 400 Marquettes and 400 LaCrescents. We're members of SAGGA, Straits Area Grape Grower's Association.

I've never thought of taking the cuttings from pruning times and trying to get them to root. I will have to give that a go this year maybe. Any suggestions for callousing if I do not have access to a heat mat? We are planning a greenhouse in the back yard in a couple of years though.

Any warm surface about 80-90F will work. I have used the top of a furnace before in the winter when it runs a lot. Some use the top of a refrigerator where it is warm. Heat mats work good and just get one the size you need.

I got back the resulkts for the soil test I took for the new vineyard.
pH 5.9 -ideal for Hybrids is 5.8-6.0 so it is right on. They say I could add 1 ton of lime per acre, but I am leaving it alone.
N- good and Organic matter 3.8% Could add a bit of N preplowing to help as the sod decomposes. I opt not to add it as I don't want to force the vines too fast.
P - 14 lbs/acre - in the high range so none needed.
K-142 pounds per acre - in the medium range, so I could add some
Calcium - 2076 - is high so none needed.
Magnesium- 139- in optimal range.

The minor nutrients are all adequate, but I will take petiole samples and ammend as needed as a foliar spray.

The grasses and perennials are dying back good so when the weather is nice in a few days, it will get turned under.

The vines are growing like weeds now so I will post pictures when I get a chance to take some.

How did you collect your soil samples? I'm looking for information on how many samples to take, how deep, density of sampling, do you mix them all together, size of each sample, etc.

Contact your local Cooperative Extension Agency and they can give you a sample box or bag to submit for sampling with instructions on how to do it. Different labs have slightly different procedures for sample collection. Feed stores and fertilizer sales outlets used to provide samples for free, but here we no longer have those services. If I had the proper reagents, I could do my own testing as I have a degree in Soil Science.

Basically you can take surface tests of 1-8 inches and subsoil samples of 8-24 inches. There are auger tools you can use for it, but agian your extension agent can tell you how to do it. You take around 10-20 small samples in a zigzag pattern for the field and mix them. For a very small sample take several and mix.

Here are the pictures I took. They aren't super clear because of the humidity today. The lens kept fogging up. I even put one in there to show they had viable bloom buds. I have to get rid of hundreds of them when they get open and clear of the other growth. The first picture is taken in the Amazon. LOL

RainForest.jpg

MarquetteUnder.jpg

LeonMillot1.jpg

Marquette1.jpg

Marquette2.jpg

BloomingCutting.jpg

so on the last pic the lil flowerish thing is the bloom bud? How long do you pinchthose off for? first couple years? Also while I understand harvest varies, if I have an area where I can plant 6-7 vines is it conceviable to get enough to make 1-2 5g batches of wine?

Yes that is the flower cluster just beginning to open. All blossoms should be pinched off for at least 2 years and maybe 3. You can then begin to leave some until you get a full crop in about 5 years.
6-7 vines would give about 1 carboy full of finished wine. You could get 2 if you are lucky and diligent.

Life happening!!! Those photos and the results are really great.

Latest posts

Back