Vines to Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidsonralph

Junior
Reaction score
Thought I would post my vine/wine story so far! My story started with research. I mostly ended up following Jeff Cox book "Vines to Wine" but also did a lot of digging online and with Columbus Extension. Started in the spring of 2014 by clearing land and planting 18 St. Vincent vines I purchased from AA vineyards :https://doubleavineyards.com/st-vincent. Somewhat embarrassed to admit that this grape variety was not my first choice but was the best option for where I live (North East Ohio) that was available as I ordered my vines late in the season. The vines for the most part grew pretty well with some difficulties that can be expected. The first winter was the dreaded polar vortex which did not kill my vines but I did have to prune back to about 2 feet. The second winter was more mild and I was able to establish cordons on most the vines. This year was the 3rd growing season and I got grapes for the first time. Some challenges this year included frost, snow in the middle of May, wasps, and the attack of the 17 year cicadas! Ended up with about 85 pounds of grapes that are now under going Malolactic fermentation.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Photo Aug 08, 5 18 27 PM.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Nice work. Farming has its bad days, but come harvest the magic of what you have done becomes apparent.

Back