Vines growing in water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Engel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was pruning my merlot vines last month (February) and just for the fun of it, put 4 cuttings in a vase of water. The buds started swelling and opened up last week. It’s March. Outside the vines don’t bloom until April. There are NO roots coming out of the buds under water (see picture).
what do I do with these? If Intake them outside now and stick ‘‘em the dirt, I’m sure they will die. Can I put them in dirt here in the house?image.jpg

I'm sure you can do that, stick them in a pot with some dirt and keep them in the house until the outside weather is agreeable. In my experience the cuttings want to grow ! I have taking some fresh cuttings and just stuck them in the dirt...and they grew! I also stuck one in the crack of an old cherry tree stump...and guess what? I grew! LOL
By all means, put yours in a pot of dirt and start them. Good luck

Give it a try but they may fail. When trying to root cuttings the ones that leaf out before the root callus develop will "fail" or die. Nothing ventured....

I'm trying to propagate my grapes with from cuttings for the first time this year. I read a boatload. Seems the predominant consensus is to cut near a node, rooting hormone, into soil, leave them outside. Bringing them inside will cause them to leaf before they root and they'll probably die. No firsthand experience, that's what I read. Good luck!

Also, I propagate a lot of plants because I'm cheap and it's fun. The rule of thumb is soft cuttings will root in water, hard cuttings won't. They'll rot. There are many exceptions, though.

Last edited:
You probably have it right BigDaveK. That has been my experience. I've tried in pots on heat mats and in bags. Neither worked well.

I’m no vine expert, but don’t expect to get roots. Many plants will blossom when warmed and placed in water. Increase your chances with some rooting hormone.

I’ve successfully rooted figs just in moist potting media in my semi hydroponic seed starter.

Latest posts

Back