Vines are WAY behind last year

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Engel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I live in the PNW, 50 miles north of Seattle. I have kept a good journal for the vinyard since 2019 when I started planting. In 2020 and 2021 I had buds breaks on my Merlot vines in mid April, with good growth and showing the baby clusters by May 12th or so. This year (2022)... all the vines had bud breaks around MAY 1st - 5th. I don't have 2" of growth on any of my 13 vines, Lots of bud breaks and first leaves. After reading my journal, it appears the entire vinyard is a whole month behind in growth compaired to the last 2 years. YIKES! Something is amiss. Hard winter perhaps? A singular vine is one thing, but all of them? Any ideas? Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks - Dave

Hi Everyone,

I live in the PNW, 50 miles north of Seattle. I have kept a good journal for the vinyard since 2019 when I started planting. In 2020 and 2021 I had buds breaks on my Merlot vines in mid April, with good growth and showing the baby clusters by May 12th or so. This year (2022)... all the vines had bud breaks around MAY 1st - 5th. I don't have 2" of growth on any of my 13 vines, Lots of bud breaks and first leaves. After reading my journal, it appears the entire vinyard is a whole month behind in growth compaired to the last 2 years. YIKES! Something is amiss. Hard winter perhaps? A singular vine is one thing, but all of them? Any ideas? Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks - Dave
Hey, Dave. I live in Olympia and EVERYTHING is a good month behind. We were down in the 20’s overnight again this week. Obviously, not normal!

Other than grapes, I trust you’re doing well!

I’m behind last year in Northern Virginia, though not as far behind as you appear to be in Northern Washington. I seem to be about 10 days behind where I was last year and comparing Growing Degree Days from this year vs 2021 on Growing Degree Days | GreenCast | Syngenta that looks about right.
Concur. North of you, here in western Maryland (near PA border) we're around 8 days behind from last year. These past 4 or so years around here there seems to be a much greater inland reach of the ocean into our weather patterns, which has tended to keep our March-April temps down.

Strangely enough in SW Virginia mountains we are about two weeks ahead of last year. We may have dodged the late frosts/freeze. Last frost was Mid April. We are at the same as or earlier than Eastern/Northern Va. I’m not complaining.

I have kept a good journal for the vinyard since 2019

I have kept a journal for two decades. What you experienced is not "out of normal". I have seen bud break a month later than the last year then the next year it is a week earlier. Every year has a lot of variance. It will only become "out of normal" if you notice a trend.

For example, in my "this week in the vineyard" blog posts:

https://the-verecund-vigneron.com/2017/04/07/this-week-in-the-vineyard/
My grapes bud break that year was weeks before this year's. But currently, by mid May, their growth is the same due to a lot of warm weather this month. So it depends on many factors and local weather (weather and climate are related but it is complicated).

20th May 2017:

2017-05-19-11-17-46.jpg

15th May 2022:

may152022.JPG

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My first season with the front yard vineyard, so don’t have anything to compare to. However, they do seem to be ahead of where I thought they would be. While it doesn’t look like it, the vines were suckered a few times.
F342E20C-CE64-40BC-8470-7D2E9C229D0C.jpeg93526AEC-99CA-4CD1-A64C-1FED4EAC976A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back