Vinenters base or fresh fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Leeper

Junior
Reaction score
Noob here asking another dumb ass question. I am making wine for my wife and hoping I like it as well. I was looking at starting with a blackberry wine. I thought only fresh fruit was used and had an order for 30lbs of frozen blackberries ready to ship when i was led to Vinenters wine bases. The cost is about half of qhat the frozen berries would cost. I have no specific recipe I am following so using theirs wouldnt kill me. Is it any harder or easier? Here is a pic of the back of said bottle. 20190127_111044.jpg

Look at the ingredients on that label you posted You are buying a BLEND of Apple, Pear, Blackberry and Grape juice AND Corn Syrup. Look up Vintner's Harvest Wine base. IF it says it's blackberry it's 100% blackberry not added sugar or other juices. Might be a bit more (1 can makes 3 gallons) but your are getting the real deal. Others have used and been happy with what you are looking at - I'm just a stick in the mud - That label you posted doesn't say what percentage of each juice is int there so it could be just 10% blackberry or it might be more or less, there is no way of telling. You can be sure that it's not the primary juice in that container.

For price comparison On Amazon:
Vintner's Harvest Blackberry Wine base is $33.94 for 96 oz
Vintners Best is $51.64 for 128 oz

2 Cans of Vintner's Harvest will make 6 gallons of a very solid flavored wine so $67.88
1 Bottle of Vintner's Best is supposed to make 6 gallons of Blackberry wine.

You decide a 100% Blackberry Wine or a Blended Apple, Pear Blackberry, & Grape wine.

I started making my own wine because I couln't find a 100% Fruit wine. They were all blends of other juices and the flavor named on the wine bottle ingredients wasn't even the primary fruit/juice used for that wine. Started with my own Blueberrys and have made 4 batches of wine with the Vintners Harvest wine bases. 2 x Black Currant, 1 Plum, and 1 Red Raspberry. Have 2 cans of Wine base on the shelf to use this spring. Another Black Currant and Elderberry.

Last edited:
???

Vintner's Harvest (VH)
Vintner's Best (VB)
= Two different companies with very different contents

About $16.00 for a 100% Blackberry wine - VH vs the blended wine - VB.

Personally I prefer to go with the 100% wine bases. IF I want to change it up, then I WILL know how much of each juice is in my wine.

Last edited:
My mistake. I noticed once I looked it up again. After looking at the ingredients on the can I noticed it was very different. Thanks.

No problem.

Prices for the two varieties will vary depending on where you buy. ( Of some folks want an Arm & a Leg for shipping.)

All depends on what you want.

Again some folks are very happy with the Vintner's Best product, I just chose to stay 100% as much as possible.

Good luck whatever route you take and post your progress and results - Use the Country Wine Area on this Forum.

Thats why you buy multiple. Chances are im making multiple batches. If uts canned itll handle shelf life.

Latest posts

Back