Vinegar Making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of the members have experience in making vinegar (intentionally!) from wine? My father-in-law used to make a crock of it periodically but I don't know the recipe. I know some of the basics of vinegar making e.g. the use of the "mother," reducing ABV, neutralizing sulfites or other preservatives, etc. but I would like to hear from people who have made wine vinegar. Some questions I would have are:

1. What do you use to neutralize the preservatives? H2O2?
2. To what ABV do you adjust the wine?
3. Is there a danger in making vinegar in the same cellar as wine is made and stored? My father-in-law used to make it in the same 6' x 10' room with no ill effects, but I have seen where others have said this is dangerous.
4. What vinegars have you made?

Thank you.

1. use hydrogen peroxide at about 1/2 tap per 32 oz of wine , water and mother of vinegar
2. mix wine 2:1 with water
3. although actobacter bacteria , which makes the vinegar, is present everywhere I keep mine vinegar area separate from wine area
4 made both red and white vinegar. started with a mother of vinegar from Label peelers. ponce you have vinegar it creates a new mother which I reuse for each new batch.
I use wine that doesn't meet standards or leftover from a wine tasting session that host.

a slower process without the mother is put wine in a soap bowl, cover and leave in open for about a month it will turn to vinegar

Good Luck

1. use hydrogen peroxide at about 1/2 tap per 32 oz of wine , water and mother of vinegar
2. mix wine 2:1 with water
3. although actobacter bacteria , which makes the vinegar, is present everywhere I keep mine vinegar area separate from wine area
4 made both red and white vinegar. started with a mother of vinegar from Label peelers. ponce you have vinegar it creates a new mother which I reuse for each new batch.
I use wine that doesn't meet standards or leftover from a wine tasting session that host.

a slower process without the mother is put wine in a soap bowl, cover and leave in open for about a month it will turn to vinegar

Good Luck

Thanks, Sal. That is exactly how I was going to proceed, including buying the mother from Label Peelers. I have some white wine which is sub par so I am going to start with white wine vinegar. I have a red which was an attempt to salvage some old Malbec concentrate that I am about to give up.

In looking at your reply, you wrote "1/2 tap" of H2O2. Did you mean "1/2 cap"? When you say that you would keep the vinegar separate from your wine making area, would the opposite side of a large cellar be okay or do you mean a separate floor of the house? I was planning to make it in the kitchen but if I can make it in the cellar, all the better.

Lastly, how does your vinegar turn out? Would you say same, better or not as good as store bought?

Thanks.

the dosage for peroxide is 1/2 a teaspoon sorry about that. I live in a apartment the vinegar is in kitchen the wine in a spare bedroom. I believe opposite sides of a basement would work. just don't mix the tools. I believe it is considerable better than store bought. of course I was raised on homemade red wine vinegar so the stronger the better. I started this because store bought salad dressings are sugar intense. you will note the difference when using different red wines.

Latest posts

Back