Vinegar from Lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crm

Junior
Reaction score
Is it possible to make vinegar from lees? Is it a good idea?

vinegar is made by the action of actobacter bacteria which is abundant in the air. I would guess the lees from a fermentation would contain dead yeast, particle of grape if from fruit and other undesirable elements. use of the lees may lead to hydrogen peroxide(rotten eggs ) smell bottom line no. one simple was is to take the wine or juice and leave it open to air for about a couple of weeks. another is purchase mother of vinegar form you local wine shop.

Is it possible to make vinegar from lees?
A technical answer is vinegar is produced from ethyl alcohol. If you add some grain alcohol you could do it. If you create higher than 20% alcohol you should have an effective preservative system so then no.

Flavored vinegar is manufactured from tasty foods as cider or grape, , why lees?

Why lees? Because I have them and wanted to do something with them. Ideas?

The primary yeast I have access to are beer yeast. They are sold as nutritional yeast, a yeast hydrolisate which increases meaty notes, and as animal feed. Of these direct consumption by animals and us has feeding limit, , we don’t want to cause diarrhea.
I don’t find the flavor enticing so I have never been willing to bring yeast home and feed the wife and kids.
The low tech/home method to reuse would be to use the lees in a measured liquid food as instant rice. , , , , if you like their flavor.
Why lees? Because I have them and wanted to do something with them. Ideas?

Probably the best use would be to mix with leaves in a separate compost pile (Not directly in an existing compost pile) Allow a couple of weeks for the alcohol to evaporate and then add to the regular compost bin/pile.
We have a compost bin so adding the Lee's to a separate pile of "browns" (leaves and dried garden matter) that are layered on top of the greens/kitchen waste.

Back