Vine ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They haven't rooted yet so fertS will do more harm than good.

Not sure I can accurately answer this since the number of variables is high but generally I check when I water then, I separate the ones that have callouses from the ones that do not but once you get callouses generally 3-5 days and you will have roots.

I'd wait a while before applying any ferts. Let the roots get big enough en mass and a little more acclimated but maybe 30 days after roots; maybe longer I'm not 100% but basically if the plant "looks established" then go for it!

Forgot to ask. When should I remove the dome?

Hmmm you may have to experiment to find the right time but for starters let's say 4 days after you transplant/root and go from there

Bad news,last night. I Returned home about 11pm.,and found cuttings covered in white fuzz. I removed the dome,and tried to air them out. Didn't know much else to do, so I made up a spray of baking soda ,water, and a very little dish soap. Gave them a spray. Hope I didn't hurt them further. These are the worst of the lot.

P3070194.JPGP3070192.JPGThen to top it off.I found two critters . This one sunning under my light. May be a type of mexican beetle ??P3060185.JPG ,and this one drowned in the water dish under one of the planters.

P3060176.JPG Looks like a squash bug ??

Agreed/beat me to it. Hope you didn't kill the first one. Lady bugs eat aphids and aphid eggs. They are a welcome guest.

Far as your other issue air flow is essential open up your breathing holes more.

Generally what works best for me is "a little dip" mix a solution 9 parts water and 1 part bleach. Dip em, swirl em for about 5 sec, remove wait 30 seconds then dip or rinse off with water.

It's hard to say this early on if they were fatally injured but if you can create a second dome please do so and move the ones which seem unaffected into it as soon as u can.

Spores are some nasty stuff but that is your standard operating procedure whenever you find some sort of contagion is to separate the ones not affected to avoid total loss.

While you are dipping and soaking use that opportunity to sterilize the other one. Either microwave or boiling water should work for your media and the same dipping solution for the dome.

Edit: do complete dip for affected ones use something small to manually clean unaffected ones but avoid foliage/bud. Even at 10% it may still burn the foliage but will be necessary if the spores are in the bud.

Edit: add something like a small piece of bamboo to act as shelter, add a drop or 2 of honey for sustenance and a small dish with some rocks in it to act as a pool/drinking fountain. If possible bury it to ground level and insert the lady bug :) .....actually do that in one of your other pots with the muscats and insert lady bug there

Last edited:
Lady bug is predacious and will kill anything that is smaller but in absence or meat will get sustenance from sugars. If you do not have any honey on hand then any squished fruit should do.

Lady bug is predacious and will kill anything that is smaller but in absence or meat will get sustenance from sugars. If you do not have any honey on hand then any squished fruit should do.

Not doubting your word, but I thought Lady Bugs were a more red color? Lady bug was DOA.

Last edited:
Lady bugs are a variety of colors. Perhaps the native ones are just red. Allegedly the Asian lady beetles are more aggressive, sometimes they bite humans tho.

It's hard to say but if you have been getting temp swings/warm days outside then that is most likely where they came from but forget the bugs and get that stuff quarantined!

With an indoor setup fungi will wreck your life. When I grew tropicals. If I seen fuzz I'd just amputate; if I seen it on the roots then to the trash can. It wasn't worth the risk to the others to try to save it. Better yet put the affected dome and plants far away from everything else!

Spores are like seeds they can remain dormant for months....waiting

Ok! Soil,dome,and trays have been sterilized. Cuttings have been disinfected as your instructions.Vents on dome are opened 100%. Maintaining a RH factor of 60%. I can control this my either closing vents or drilling more holes. What do you suggest? Also found this on soil side of cuttings when I removed them.

P3070196.JPG

Hard to tell in photo,but this is all white. Also found this on several plants.P3070197.JPG

And you separated the good ones from the bad ones?

If possible separate both of them from you muscats. Depending on the type of fungi it can attack roots.

Don't think it's your fault tho; seems likely the bug corpses is what initiated the contamination.

The white you are seeing are callouses! Yay! That's the last step before getting roots.

I hope they are on your healthy cuttings. Sometimes you can make them spontaneously grow a little bit of root tissue by running hot water over them not that I suggest it.

After callous generally 3-5 days and you will have a few fledgling roots.

Last edited:
Back