Vine Virgin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphidius

Junior
Reaction score
Hi
I have just joined the forum and I have a zillion and one questions whizzing around in my head so I might as well start...I live in the UK and plan on growing my initial vine in the greenhouse in a large 90 litre trough filled with a mix of large gravel, horse manure and commercial compost....it will be positioned on the floor, obviously, but I have no glass at floor level (18" wooden perimeter cladding) Will it get enough light? to grow and be trained through the wooden internal staging to the wires I have created the first being approx.36" from the base of the plant (the plant at present is about 18" tall)...

Since you have a completely controlled environment why wouldn't you emulate real soil? A couple of inches of pea gravel since it is a big pot then a sandy clay subsoil for a foot or two then a sandy loam with a little compost for your topsoil. The recipe you mentioned above will make for a pretty vine but perhaps unbalanced. Vines are aggressive and will grow like a monster in too rich soil. Shoot for a ph of 6 to 7. You also will need to accommodate/simulate the dormant phase of the life-cycle come fall and winter.

Ah...I must dig in some sand and gravel then.....I may have over nutrified the whole thing...not to worry its still in its clay pot for now whilst I got prepared so all is not lost at this stage...thank you for your prompt reply...I think I was smothering the plant with kindness hahaha...when really they like a bit of rough or so it seems ...I will try to get my pH to around 6.5 slightly acidic to neutral if I can.

Thanks again
Regards
C

Back